Battleship Wally

Re: Battleship Wally

Postby Cozmicray » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:39 pm

This appears to be insanity for a one off.
But looks like fun.

Are you going to produce thousands of these?

IMHO all the Wally's that will be built -- are already manufactured?

People will go to LISA Simpson 2 or others, easier build, simpler, firmware, software supported.

:?:
Cozmicray

Postby see3d » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Just as there are improved versions of the Simpson design in the works (GUS, LISA), there will be improved versions of the Wally design. Simpson and Wally have different strengths. For instance, a future Wally could have unlimited Z in a smaller footprint and lower cost than LISA. Wally might also be much easier to enclose the build area without overheating the important self replicated parts. Every design is an accumulation of tradeoffs between different goals. Change the goals and the optimum design changes with them. :ugeek:
see3d

Postby smooshed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:51 pm

We're making two sets of Wally frames. And yes, we are all nuts, but that's besides the point :-)

We do one offs using the same manufacturing procedures with aluminum plate quite regularly, it's how we produce a lot of our machining fixtures, so Wally is fitting right in to the workflow. But because Wally is a "government job", we had to wait a while to find some open machine time. Damn customers, always buying stuff and making us work.
smooshed

Postby Cozmicray » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:40 am

Well I hope it gets better --- cause there are no Wally builders out there
and no help for Wally builders right now!

I have a built Wally -- but can't tweek the firmware or generate gcode to run it.
Probably shelve it for a year or so when there are other users?

By then HP and Epson will have user friendly 3D printers out????

see3d wrote:Just as there are improved versions of the Simpson design in the works (GUS, LISA), there will be improved versions of the Wally design. Simpson and Wally have different strengths. For instance, a future Wally could have unlimited Z in a smaller footprint and lower cost than LISA. Wally might also be much easier to enclose the build area without overheating the important self replicated parts. Every design is an accumulation of tradeoffs between different goals. Change the goals and the optimum design changes with them. :ugeek:
Cozmicray

Postby Dpharris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:55 am

Where are you stuck?
Dpharris

Postby Cozmicray » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:34 am

See Cozmicray's build
http://forum.conceptforge.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28&start=10#p342

1. My table only goes up to about 120mm (151mm in Python code now)
need change for python to accommodate that

2. Get it to remember where it is and where home is

3. Procedure / code to level bed

4. Need parameters for Marlin Firmware and R-H software. Width, Depth in Wally units?

5. Get Bowden to work reliably (tube holders a pain) Air -tripper and J-Head

Cozmicray

Postby smooshed » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:03 pm

A bit more progress. This is the actual backboard part after the first machining operation, as shown in the simulation.

IMG_1724-1.jpg
Wally Backboard
IMG_1724-1.jpg (112.46 KiB) Viewed 46933 times

Setting up for the second operation, profiling. Notice that the actual machine tool is not nearly as pretty as in the simulation :-)

IMG_1725-1.jpg
Second Op Setup
IMG_1725-1.jpg (211.62 KiB) Viewed 46933 times

And finally, machining the profile of the part. The part was clamped and pinned to the plate in the chuck. Sorry about the poor picture quality, it's hard to get a good shot through the door with all the coolant spray.

IMG_1731-1.jpg
Profiling
IMG_1731-1.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 46933 times
smooshed

Postby smooshed » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:53 pm

After a bit more chip flinging, a frame for Battleship Wally appears! It's heavy, but so far the brackets are holding it together.

IMG_1734_1.JPG
Battleship Wally Frame
IMG_1734_1.JPG (111.42 KiB) Viewed 46918 times
smooshed

Postby Cozmicray » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:25 pm

You may want to check to see the X , Y motors clear the cable holes
and don't require a sharp bend for wires.
If your controller is going to be out front, the X, Y cables can jusst drop down in front

Is the one hole at the bottom big enough for 4 motor cables and an AC power cable?
(I use 4 wire shielded cable for steppers)

Think about grommets or plastic inserts in wire holes to protect wires
plastic straws my be useful.

Think about a bolt sticking out the front above Z-slot to anchor Z-string

Your going to need a new bolt pattern for extruder mechanism.
See Air tripper design or SeeMeCNC Ezstruder

There really should be some water tight doors on Battleship Wally
I don't think there is room for 16" guns?

:D
Cozmicray

Postby smooshed » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:42 pm

We have the short motors, so the wires should go straight out the back no problem. Heat shrink, sleeve, spiral wrap etc, will be all over the place, maybe grommets too, depending on where we put stuff. I don't think we are going to put electronics on the inside, they will be in back or on the side, perhaps in a separate box. That only leaves a future bed heater and hot end wiring to route inside. I'm guessing hot end wiring will go over the top with the bowden tube.

Not sure what you mean about Z-string anchor?

At the moment the plan is to use Nicholas's latest filament feeder, I believe it will mount on Wally using the existing mounting holes.

They won't be water tight, but Battleship Wally may get some doors as part of an enclosure, which is why we think the electronics should stay outside.

No guns, though. Well, maybe a nerf gun. Fire off a few rounds when the prints done to wake somebody up.
smooshed

PreviousNext

Return to Wally