Boston, MA USA Build Log

Re: Boston, MA USA Build Log

Postby GrahamHolt » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Just a quick update. I've stringed all of the arms and populated them with what I have. I need to finish with the end stops though. I am having issues with the hub tube as it seems to come loose from the bottom hub piece quite easily. Any tips on shoring that up?

I'm excited that this is starting to look like a GUS after all these months.

I've got a J-head on order as well as some header pins. I need to wire up my RAMPS and start tinkering with software soon. Now that it looks like good, I need to get it to move.

Thanks for all of the support.
Attachments
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG (1.74 MiB) Viewed 71598 times
GrahamHolt

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:14 pm

Teflon tape or an XY scaled up reprint should do the trick. Great work.
Nicholas Seward

Postby GrahamHolt » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:35 pm

@Nicholas
Thanks, the Teflon tape did the trick. Now the hub is nice and firmly together. More pictures once I've got some more news to share.
GrahamHolt

Postby GrahamHolt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Added the Teflon tape, installed J-head and mounted the filament drive. It's looking better than it has been, so I'm going to move it from my office annex (a closet), to my office workbench. Hopefully I'll get the rest of the parts soon and be able to get this thing moving.
Attachments
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 71570 times
GrahamHolt

Postby GrahamHolt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:27 pm

All wired up now. I'm missing one end stop, but that isn't a problem at the moment since I haven't gotten it to move. I've uploaded a modified version of Marlin, though I'm not sure if I've got all settings in there correct as I was going off of the Repetier settings that Nicholas posted. Does anyone have a working set of settings for Marlin?

About the progress. I can connect to the board, it's reading a temperature, though the temp reading is off by a factor of 2. I can set the temp, but the temperature doesn't increase. I try to get the motors to move using Pronterface, but the motors stay off. I'm sure that many have been down this road before, so I'm going to get to digging on the internet for the answers.

Thanks,
Graham
GrahamHolt

Postby imrahil » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:34 pm

GrahamHolt wrote:Does anyone have a working set of settings for Marlin?

Look at mine - https://github.com/imrahil/Marlin/blob/ ... guration.h

GrahamHolt wrote:I try to get the motors to move using Pronterface, but the motors stay off.

IMHO you have to home all axes before any movement.
imrahil

Postby timrwilliams » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:25 pm

I agree with Jarek that Pronterface likes to be 'homed' first.
But with my version of Pronterface/Marlin the 'home all' button, homes the axes sequentially. This can physically contort GUS!. I think that others have mentioned on the forum that a better alternative is to send gcode G1 x-1000 y-1000 z-1000, which homes the axes simultaneously and GUS seems to prefer!

Regards
timrwilliams

Postby GrahamHolt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Thank you everyone. I'll take a look at Imrahil's configuration and see what I can do today. I'll read up on homing and make sure I'm not doing anything that will make things go too crazy.

Other projects are encroaching, but I'm hoping for some sort of movement before the weekend.
GrahamHolt

Postby imrahil » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:35 pm

I tried to manage this trick with negative values for homing but I had to leave it.
If you set variable "min_software_endstops" to true you cannot use negative values at all. Even at startup when Marlin doesn't know its position.
When you set "min_software_endstops" to false it's ok, homing works, but you can easily break whole GUS when you move axis from host or lcd panel (using encoder on panel)

so I have a habit to leave GUS in 0,0,0 position after use :) (normal homing works fine then)
imrahil

Postby GrahamHolt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Another lunch period is gone and still no movement. I attempted to home (move an arm to its max position, click home, repeat with other arms) and still no love. I tried Pronterface and Repetier-host. I'm going to talk to the guy downstairs to see if has any ideas.

I can send a command to start warming up the hot end, but it doesn't start heating. Not sure if I might have a bad RAMPS board or not. I can connect to the printer, I just can't make it do anything beyond that. I'll keep you guys posted.
GrahamHolt

PreviousNext

Return to GUS Simpson