Wally-0

Re: Wally-0

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:10 am

WALLY VASE.jpg
WALLY VASE.jpg (193.58 KiB) Viewed 60047 times

There is a visible morie pattern but it is almost invisible to the touch and in turn doesn't hurt the dimensionality.

The model was 100x100x145. In reality it was 99.5x92.5x147.7. Two of the sides are square. The other two are slightly curved and the top is 5mm off of square.

I am going to work on improving the calibration. There are many parameters that need to be set but the cumulative effect of all of them being pretty close but not exactly right lead to be deviations from the intended print. I think I will get a calibration block that I will use in tandem with the laser engraved grid to touch off at many points in all 3 dimensions. I will then optimize all the parameters so I can actually hit these positions accurately. I am actually happy that I am as good as I am at this point. Oh, the costs of not being a Cartesian bot. :D
Nicholas Seward

Postby Cozmicray » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:40 am

If I put an LED fan on Wally Chrome
will it print like Wally-0

Are there any other working Wally's out there?

:?:
Cozmicray

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:21 pm

The fan is key. :-)

We are the only 2. Soon to be more. :-)
Nicholas Seward

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Nicholas Seward wrote:
cdsteinkuehler wrote:The way I figure it, you get two modified arcs and have to figure out where they intersect. Given a motor position, figure the angle (c or d in your kins png) assuming a 90 degree angle between the base (L) and the first arm l. This gets you the distance from the shoulder for your arc (a or b), but that distance has to be modified slightly as the base arm moves around the shoulder pivot. But there's no way to get a full cardioid spiral that I can see! AFAIK, what you'd get from a physical Wally would be at *MOST* the outermost loop in quadrants I and II of the cardioid image (limited by how far the other arm will reach). What am I missing?!?

Of course in reality you can not spin the arm forever but math doesn't care about silly things like the backboard. We will need most of the curve in the graph. The curve actually goes on to infinity and fills up the whole circle but I stop the curve generation when the arm completely folded in on itself. At any given time only about 180 degrees of this is usable but it could be any portion of it. I am going to do some circle fitting of this curve over the work envelope and see how close we get.

I've been working with Wally again, and thinking about the forward kinematics. The arc approach suffers from the wrapping problem, and numerical solutions are kind of ugly. It seems to me it might work to twist the problem around slightly.

Given the motors are at a known position, it should be possible to write a function to provide the Y value as a function of X. This side-steps the wrapping issue of using the arm-shoulder angle in the calculations, which as you point out makes an infinite spiral. Given the two functions, one then simply needs to determine which X value works for F(X) = F'(L-X), where F is the Y position of the left arm, and F' is the Y position of the right arm. One equation, one unknown, and this all assumes there isn't some nasty gotcha in the trig to calculate the Y position given an X value.

I wanted to jot this down while it was fresh, but it's more math than I'm up to working through right now. I'm currently busy trying to get my Wally fixed up enough I can print using LinuxCNC (with real-time inverse kinematics) before the Midwest RepRap Festival, which means I need to string my Z axis and build my first Bowden cold-end. Forward kinematics would be nice, but are not absolutely required.
cdsteinkuehler

Postby Nicholas Seward » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:42 pm

@cdsteinkuehler: Are you going to the Midwest RepRap Festival? If so, awesome!!!! I will be there.

A back and forth X and then Y iterative approach won't be bad. I will see what I can get worked up. Not this week. I have to give a TED like talk tomorrow and I have to drive on Thursday.
Nicholas Seward

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Nicholas Seward wrote:@cdsteinkuehler: Are you going to the Midwest RepRap Festival? If so, awesome!!!! I will be there.

Yes, I'm going, it was a last-minute thing. I'm now in serious crunch mode to get Wally printing w/o using the pre-processor (all kinematics in LinuxCNC running on the BeagleBone). I look forward to seeing you again and hearing your talk on Saturday!

I think I can do the forward kins w/o an iterative approach, but I'll have to crunch the math to make sure I didn't overlook something. That's currently lower-priority than coding up the reverse kins for LinuxCNC, and finishing up my build. I've got Z moving now, so next up is the extruder and hot-end.
cdsteinkuehler

Postby Nicholas Seward » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 pm

@cdsteinkuehler: If you use Segmentize as a guide, there are some problems with the y compensation that one of my other Beta testers has fixed but is polishing before publishing. The XY code is good.
Nicholas Seward

Previous

Return to Wally