Wally's Electronics

Re: Wally's Electronics

Postby Dpharris » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:00 am

I look on this as a great learning experience. This is cutting edge stuff, and not a commercial project (yet). @Cosmicray ... My hat is off to you. It sounds like you are very close to getting it all to work, so don't get frustrated.

As you likely know, available slicing software is designed for existing machines, either rectilinear or Rostock-type. They convert a solid 3d model into the paths for the printer-head to follow. To do this, they generate Gcode, which is low-level instructions for the printer, eg 'goto (x,y,z)'. The firmware in the electronics package then tells the stepper motors what to do in order to achieve each instruction, eg 'x-motor step (16), y-motor step (-45), z-motor step (0)'.

Wally's mechanics are different from existing printers, so Nicholas, instead of writing new firmware, has written a program in Python that converts the the generated Gcode coordinates to compensate for Wally mechanics. Unfortunately, although it is much faster to write the conversion code in Python than to change and debug new firmware, it does create an additional step in the processing. The Python code is hard to understand, and some extra explanation on the parameters would be useful ... but I can understand the limits on Nicholas's time.

The Python code does need some parameters set so it can do its calculations, and Nicholas has pointed these out. Do you need more help with that?
Dpharris

Postby jon_bondy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:05 pm

cdsteinkuehler wrote:There is a gcode pre-processor you run on your sliced gcode to convert normal XYZ axis values into Wally's peculiar shoulder angle values.

Repetier Host has a "Post Slice Filter" facility in the Advanced tab under Printer Settings. Perhaps one could rearrange the pre-processor to be a post-processor that is automatically invoked during the slicing process

Jon
jon_bondy

Postby Cozmicray » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Nick Assume you have done all the above. No you can use slic3r or CURA to make some gcode for your setup with 0,0 in the middle of the print. You can then take that gcode and pipe it through the python program. You can then run the outputted gcode. If you are using something like Repetier as your host software then put it in dry run mode so you can just see if you are close before you commit filament.

JonBondy Repetier Host has a "Post Slice Filter" facility in the Advanced tab under Printer Settings. Perhaps one could rearrange the pre-processor to be a post-processor that is automatically invoked during the slicing process

As I understand it, the python program is a "post" processor

WALLY print process
STL file --> Slic3r --> G-code-1 -->Python program ---> G-code-2 ---> RH ---> print

But until there are some instructions or I figure it out
not knowing Slic3r, Python program, RH settings --- who knows?

I saw it printing at NYC MF so it can work??

:?:
Cozmicray

Postby Dpharris » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:12 am

Yes, I think that is fit scheme. Tell us where you stick, and we can dig you out (if the aw inter metaphor holds).
Dpharris

Previous

Return to Wally