Ideas for the next Wally.

Re: Ideas for the next Wally.

Postby realthor » Thu May 07, 2015 7:28 am

more 3d printed parts, less specialized parts.
I am happy with a new thread if posting in this one confuses people.
reprap Lander concept on Concept Forge
reprap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
realthor

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu May 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Yeah. Let's start a new thread. You will have to come up with a project name/codename. I would suggest that you clearly state the goals of the project in the first post along with the current state of the project. No sense in having Wally drag you down. :-) The new printer area here would be good or in the Polar/Scara forum on the RepRap forum.
Nicholas Seward

Postby realthor » Thu May 07, 2015 6:08 pm

1) Should I create a new thread or you can move the posts here in a new thread? I will prefer to have it on ConceptForge... will create a RepRap forums thread when I have at least the Z-winch proven to be working and some 3d models of the bot....will have to learn CAD for that.

2) I am not good with names, I am mostly interested in putting together enough info and knowledge to start a project; for the sake of the naming printers ritual, I'll call mine Wally da Winchy lol...
realthor

Postby Cozmicray » Thu May 07, 2015 6:46 pm

The design at
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30&start=10#p255

is mostly printed parts and parts that are much easier to print than your spool mechanism

Original Wally used a winch so Wally da winchy doesn't really fit

I haven't put together a picture your whole design
but it is more SCARA than Wally maybe Scara-face? lol

realthor wrote:more 3d printed parts, less specialized parts.
I am happy with a new thread if posting in this one confuses people.
Cozmicray

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu May 07, 2015 6:55 pm

@Realthor: I can move the posts over. I will need to create a thread for me to move it to. I will see if I can do that when I get some time. You will have to go back and edit the first post to include introductory material.

Side note: The 4:1 reduction from the block and tackle you have plus the winch is overkill. It will be able to lift 400+lbs with 5um moves per full step. With the winch you don't need the block and tackle.
Nicholas Seward

Postby realthor » Thu May 07, 2015 9:54 pm

@Cozmicray: the wally variation you show is not "wall"y (1st) as there are a lot of components on the back, 2) it's true it uses a motor shaft that acts as a winch but it is not triangulation-free and therefore it's not suitable on a 3d printer unless extensive calibration or software compensation is used (and you know how difficult that can get) and 3) i wish i could 3d print the metal bars but if you take into account the energy expended to make those bars then printing a slightly more complicated plastic component doesn't look that bad (and for God's sake the computer does all the work)

@Nic:
I have updated my first post (http://forum.conceptforge.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=157&p=2220#p2220). Let me know it it is ok.

As naming goes, I suppose you need a name for the thread. Unless a better name than daWinchy comes up, I believe that should be it. I tried to stare at the bot configuration sketch (picture in the updated first post) and there are several words that come to mind: transformer, shape shifting (SS Wally ?), reprap mantis, lift-a-bot, location adaptive bot (LAB, LA Wally)...

I am open to relevant variations or suggestions but I really like the daWinchy (also SS Wally) ...

Thanks.
Last edited by realthor on Thu May 07, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realthor

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu May 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Hmm. I think the winch won't be a defining feature. In the end, you may not use a winch. Lay down your goals and see if you can come up with a name that embodies those goals. Or just call it Thorbot. :-)
Nicholas Seward

Postby realthor » Thu May 07, 2015 10:36 pm

I have written down the goals in the post you suggested I update. The best describing feature besides reprap is the shape shifting nature of the bot, the various configurations it can be used in.

Thorbot sounds cool :))

PS: I really want to use the intricate gear-bolt thing. The complication is only in the design, once that is solved there is no way this couldn't work. And for the horizontal printing configuration utopia I need to be able to anchor the bot independently from itself so that it pulls himself towards the anchor point while the print grows. That begs for a winch.
realthor

Postby realthor » Fri May 08, 2015 2:26 pm

hi, I think I will name my bot Lander, because it can land anywhere, be it flat surface or vertical wall. I got the idea by searching for scientists names from my native country and Erwin Friedlander came up on wikipedia. It was either Erwin for a name or Friedlander but I choose Lander because it is describing some of the features of the bot, although RepRap Erwin could have been a cooler name. What do you guys think? Should I stick to the reprap naming convention and call it Friedlander/Erwin?
realthor

Postby Nicholas Seward » Fri May 08, 2015 2:39 pm

The RepRap "convention" is to use the name of evolutionary scientist. (I say "convention" in quotes because many don't follow the convention.) That said you get to name it however you want. All of your suggestions sound great.
Nicholas Seward

PreviousNext

Return to Wally