Wally attempt

Wally attempt

Postby krains87 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:05 pm

I am found Wally randomly on Youtube and I just had to try to make one! I already have a Makerbot Replicator 2x and a Thing-o-Matic, but would like to get into RepRap printers. I have already printed about 80% of Wally, but I cannot find the Filament Drive Block STL that is supposed to be in Group B is there something I'm missing?
krains87

Re: Wally attempt

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:05 pm

https://github.com/NicholasSeward/ConceptFORGE/tree/master/FILAMENT%20DRIVE

Please note, Wally hasn't made dimensionally accurate parts because it is very hard to calibrate.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Cozmicray » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:28 am

Use another extruder.
I used an airtripper extruder bowden to E3D hot end.

Wally Chrome, my build, and 6 months use
has yet to print a decent part.

If you like building something that WON'T work --- have fun.
Otherwise build something else.

Wally is a orphan --- very little development /support.
Nick working other projects

:?:
Cozmicray

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:15 am

For the most part I agree with Cozmicray but it can be built and can produce beautiful prints. Those prints just won't be very accurate.
Nicholas Seward

Postby see3d » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:33 am

Nicholas, I guess I don't understand where the problem is. Is it a mechanical accuracy issue that requires software profiling of each individual mechanics set to compensate, or is it a kinematics problem that just has not been programmed correctly yet?

How would the Wally variation that we discussed privately a while back that drives one shoulder and elbow, like a single arm SCARA, and has a linear Z axis change the issue?
see3d

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:41 am

There is something wrong with the XY independent of the Z. I think it might be a math problem. I would spend more time working on it but there are other design deficiencies that make me want to take what I have learned and move one. I have a 1-arm SCARA that should replace Wally. I am going to make an exploratory machine soon to figure out how some new concepts will play out.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Cozmicray » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Wally has to do X, Y to polar to Wally X,Y
and
compensate for non-linear Z travel
Arc instead of straight shot

All done in a Python preprocessor

If you can look at the math and code and fix it up
it could work

Have Phun
:D
Cozmicray

Postby krains87 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Okay well I have everything printed for Wally, but if it is something that I will ultimately end up frustrated with would you suggest to set Wally aside until some improvements have been made? Also would you suggest building Gus Simpson or Lisa Simpson because I really want to build a reprap and I really like these designs. :D
krains87

Postby Nicholas Seward » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:20 am

It all depends on what you want from the printer. None of them will be good daily workhorse printers. They would be good if you want to play with alternative designs. For now, they could be better viewed as starting points instead of end points.

LISA was built as a joke. She is the best, most accurate one of the bunch but I would suggest a Kossel over her.

GUS will eventually get new arms but I am not sure what the timeline is on that.

Wally will be replaced with a 1-Arm SCARA.

They are all fun to watch but none of them are firefly practical... Yet.
Nicholas Seward

Return to Wally