Wally Builds?

Wally Builds?

Postby Cozmicray » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Who is building a Wally?

Are there instructions / assembly drawing out there?

Tnx
Wally Chrome (I'm lonely)
:(
Cozmicray

Re: Wally Builds?

Postby gjb2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Hello,
This is my Wally Build. I call it Wooden Wally. The idea is to get everything working and then print the plastic version. I just finished assembling arms last night. I am now at a standstill. I ordered the parts per BOM. I really have now idea how/ which software to install. Any help would be appreciated.
Very impressed with all that you all have accomplished in 6 months.

George
IMAG0055.jpg
picture of wooden wally
IMAG0055.jpg (623.86 KiB) Viewed 39822 times
gjb2

Postby mateusz.p » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Wooden Wally looks great! Nice job.

I am working on Wally without bottom platform.
I am waiting for some 6702 bearings - lucky they are almost as cheap as 608 on amazon. I have all parts printed for XY. I try to concentrate on Marlin software - not sure if cpu speed of Arduino MEGA board can handle those computations fast enough, but I treat it as experience for my Arduino coding (which is basic now).

I didn't decided about bottom platform, there are different proposals on this forum to follow.
Mat
mateusz.p

Postby Cozmicray » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:22 am

mateusz.p
Why worry about marlin/mega 2560?
are you planning on doing the task of the Python Segmentize on Mega?

Wally Chrome runs on a Mega 2560/RAMPS1.4
with either Marlin or Repetier firmware without breaking a sweat.
It's just doing an X,Y,X,E gcode steps
amazing to watch it, adjusting Z all the time

Extruder was a pain for me
and
Z string lift is a real hassle

:D
Cozmicray

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:47 am

I've got a Wally beta that was mostly assembled except for the Z axis and extruder. The Midwest RepRap Festival got me focused enough to get my Wally moving and printing (although not well, I'm having problems with the supplied anUbis hot-end).

I'm mostly working on trying to get LinuxCNC to control Wally with real-time kinematics (no pre-processing the gcode), but my prints so far have been using the python pre-processor and the same simple kinematics used with the AVR/Arduino controllers.
cdsteinkuehler

Postby mateusz.p » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:16 pm

Cozmicray, yes that is the plan - I want to "try" create Marlin modification that when enabled - it would connect to any application and it would correctly set motors angles based on g-code XY coordinates.

I created separate thread for it: http://forum.conceptforge.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=119
Mat
mateusz.p

Postby Cozmicray » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 pm

So Wally builds have all dried up?

Where are the 20 beta units?

Mine works but doesn't print very well?

Waiting for a software fix?

:?:
Cozmicray

Postby Cozmicray » Mon May 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Hey Wally builders.

Where are all the 20 Wally beta kits?
Are you building, and using?

???????

:?:
Cozmicray

Postby Nicholas Seward » Mon May 19, 2014 7:05 pm

@Cozmicray: I am going to repurpose the hardware I have for the 20 Wally builds and use it for some 1-Arm SCARAs. I still have a Wally0 and I still want to figure out what is wrong with my math but it will always have some problems that a 1-arm with a linear z will never have. It is a fun proof of concept but I think it will stop there. It will live on in my future builds. (I have no projected timeline for getting the math figured out. I am about to have a lot of free time but I have a lot of things I want to do with it.)

The beauty of open source is that anyone can take what I have done and build off of it and improve. If you are not satisfied with the current state of the project you can be the motive force.

Happy hacking!
Nicholas Seward

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Mon May 19, 2014 7:53 pm

Sadly, I have not put my Wally back together since the Midwest RepRap Festival. I got pulled into doing new Debian based builds for the BeagleBone and haven't quite finished the LinuxCNC kinematics for Wally.

I also was having horrible times with the AnUBIS hot-end, likely in part because it's my first experience with a Bowden hot-end. I keep meaning to switch out the hot-end and put Wally back together, but something always seems to come up. I've got the Maker Faire coming up in Kansas City at the end of June, and Wally is definitely on the list of stuff to bring, so he'll get some love by then at the latest!

Oh...and I'm not sure what it says about me, but after actually _building_ Wally, one of my favorite aspects of the design is the big side-panels where you can put stickers and logos. I've got SeeMeCNC and MRRF 2014 stickers on my Wally so far...I need to track down some more (or even better, maybe a sponsor or two!) :)
cdsteinkuehler

Next

Return to Wally