Noob UK build

Re: Noob UK build

Postby timrwilliams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks for your PM reply Chris.

It seems that as a new member, I can't send PMs myself.
I will try and sort this out and be in contact.

Kind regards
timrwilliams

Postby ChrisK » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:33 pm

After congratulating myself on saving a few moments by buying a RAMPS kit with cabling and a choice endstops included it became quickly apparent once they arrived that the endstops were both far too big. On closer inspection though I found that the 'card style' endstops in the kit actually had the correct units soldered on. Cue a long evening desoldering :evil:
Of course most of the cabling is now useless too so tomorrow evening looks to be soldering night. Glad I saved those couple of moments now eh!
ChrisK

Postby ChrisK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Let's talk hotends!
This, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-HOT-END-COOLING-System-Kit-for-mini-Kossel-Reprap-ROSTOCK-DELTA-3D-printer-/321321571252?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item4ad04213b4 caught my eye on E-bay. Never liked the PEEK sheets wrapped around other styles and something getting hot being made of metal seems sound thinking to me. What do you guys think??
Looks like it mounts very similar to the J-head with horizontal bolts locating in grooves near the top. If I go with this I am planning to not use the cooling system and see if I get away with it. From what I understand PLA has relatively cooler working temps than other materials.
I would also like to see what hot-ends other's have got working and a list of tested units may be a nice resource to compile.
ChrisK

Postby NeoTheFox » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:33 pm

I belive it would fit, however it might need a fan to not melt the HUB, because by looking on it I can say it is not well thermally insulated, compared to composite hotend.
NeoTheFox

Postby ChrisK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:46 pm

NeoTheFox wrote:I belive it would fit, however it might need a fan to not melt the HUB, because by looking on it I can say it is not well thermally insulated, compared to composite hotend.

You're absolutely right, the plastic body and PEEK add a heat barrier before the hub. The metal fins would of course shift some heat but I'm agreeing a thermal buffer is a good idea. Keep the heat at the end eh? Makes a lot of sense, Thanks.
ChrisK

Postby ChrisK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:11 pm

couple of questions particularly about the electronics.
firstly can I expect repetier's manual control to work if only one motor is connected as a test? Of course I have USB connection which seems to power up the board as well as a 5A connection from a laptop power supply.
I have the LCD screen which shows x,w and z coordinates and what seems like a menu page but does not allow me to scroll through the options. Should that screen give any particular messages when connected to the host (it does seem to reset) or if I try to send commands.
Can I send a job without any components connected and view data on the board as a communications test??
ChrisK

Postby tommythorn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Yes, absolutely, but you need to connect the thermistor or Repetier-Host refuses to do anything. I have run my printrboard with a single stepper attached (and the thermistor), it works. EDIT: be sure to have external power as you cannot drive a stepper from USB power alone! I don't know why the board will even boot up with USB power, but mine does and it's not ideal.
tommythorn

Postby ChrisK » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:40 pm

I have a single stepper and a thermistor wired in. Motor on Extruder 1 the thermistor on T0 and a 5a laptop power supply feeding the 5a in. How would I go about sending manual control to just that one motor in Repetier Host? So far the obvious does not seem to be working
ChrisK

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:44 pm

5A? What is your controller?
Nicholas Seward

Postby ChrisK » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:10 pm

RAMPS 1.4
ChrisK

PreviousNext

Return to GUS Simpson