Noob UK build

Re: Noob UK build

Postby ChrisK » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:22 am

what baudrate do you use?
ChrisK

Postby ChrisK » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:26 am

dropped baud to 115200 and looks like I have some kind of connection in that it's connected and returning more info than usual and is reporting a thermistor error (I,ve disconnected everything and connected to my other computer while I top up my lappy batteries.

aha! This is good, my LCD screen is reflecting the manual commends even if nothing is connected.
ChrisK

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38 am

I have been using 256000. Glad you are getting some traction.
Nicholas Seward

Postby ChrisK » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:50 am

connected and have motor movement:) even in the one I took apart. I am only getting movement if the values are negative though. Thermistor is also returning a reading that looks fairly accurate.
I am getting an odd high pitch whistle from the board after a minute or so of run time but for tonight I'm happy enough to go to bed knowing I've got something cool to show my son tomorrow morning.
Thanks for helping me through.
ChrisK

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:03 am

It sounds like you have the current of your stepper driver set too high. The no negative movement is probably from limit switch settings in firmware.
Nicholas Seward

Postby ChrisK » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:13 am

I think that whistle is coming from the screen and when I dropped it once it started whistling again.
To clarify my wooly description, I get movement in both directions but only if the values are in the minus ranges. So it will go from -10 to -50 and back from -50 to -10 but ignores moves, in any direction if the overall position is in the positive range as in +10 t0 +50
The fact that the host or firmware have no idea where the arms are in the general scheme of things probably aint helping and I'll have a look at the limits tomorrow. If I remember correct decreasing values move the arm away from the bed.
ChrisK

Postby ChrisK » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:53 am

Nicholas Seward wrote:Sounds like you know what you are doing.

Side note: Does it matter that some laptop power supplies are 19.5V?

Found this thread on higher voltage supplies

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?219,196602
ChrisK

Postby ChrisK » Mon May 26, 2014 6:28 pm

After being stumped by all things the likkle terminals in the motor plugs I am back on this project. After ages trying to track down the right terminals I still couldn't manage to satisfactorily assemble the plugs. As my motors were a bit wrong anyways I threw in the towel and got some new motors. After a bit of messing about and erring and umming I finally rebuilt the arms with my new motors, cables and aluminium spools. Found out I can't use my dead posh screen and controller with Repetier firmware but for the mo I'm sticking with it. Motor testing would of been a dream with the controller but stuck being tethered to the computer.
Got all the motors moving nicely once I adjusted the stepper voltage.
I've noticed that under repetier manual control the z axis control, apart from being really slow seems to be reversed. Is that a software thing (the Z normally being platform height) or do I need to go into firmware or wiring to solve this?
I was wondering where do I check movement distance at to start checking and adjusting settings? Do I measure how far the head moves, how much string is wound or across some of the bolts?
Also, where is your starting point? ie when you start a job is the print head touching the base, up as far as it will go?
ChrisK

Postby timrwilliams » Mon May 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Glad to hear you are making progress. I sympathise about stepper plug/sockets. In times past I had to cut back the plastic housing on a motor and solder directly to the pins. NOT reccommended!

I can't help much with Repetier, but firmware set up for a Cartesian printer often does treat the Z axis differently to the X & Y. Its worth checking the firmware for thing like 'Cal value, homing speed, bounce values'

As regards calibration, I measure the distance between the M8 bolts at the hinged ends of the Motor and Slave arms. It helps to have a stub of bolt sticking out on the same side, and the best measuring device is a 300mm Vernier Caliper. Not everyone may have one of these and it can be done with a steel rule, though its a bit less accurate. If you send a 'move arm x mm' from the host software and measure the actual distace moved, you can scale the 'Cal factor' by the sent/actual ratio.

The starting point for a print seems to be set by Segmentize. The Gcode it produces sends all arm very -ve, ie X-1000 Y-1000 Z-1000. It then sends a couple of G28 'home' commands which set the arms at an accurate zero position. After that the print seems to depend on the 'zero bed matrix' in Segmentize, which needs editing for each machine. There is quite a lot written about this in the Forum.
Hope building continues well .
timrwilliams

Postby ChrisK » Mon May 26, 2014 9:21 pm

You use Marlin don't you? You find that better? I guess you may be more familiar with it. Is there a way to share the config files between users? I'm wondering if I 'steal' yours will it land me kinda close. Obviously I will have to serious recalibrate the movement amounts as I'm using the pretty large alloy spools but being able to test using the controller would be really nice and eliminate any possibilities of the control software treating my Z axis differently.
ChrisK

PreviousNext

Return to GUS Simpson