Noob UK build

Noob UK build

Postby ChrisK » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi all just wanted to say hello and once I know you all start to gather information.
I've been watching the reprap movement for a while but hadn't been inspired into action until I saw the GUS Simpson.
I'm slowly gathering the parts I need to embark on a build. I now have the printed parts, some motors and a bunch of bearings and hardware. I've started to press in bearings (found a dremel and a hair dryer handy here)
Are there any instructions published? Gone a few steps based on photos and those excellent exploded views but some step by step instructions would be real helpful.
Haven got to electronics and software yet as I understand the Simpson way of plotting positions is substantially different to the conventional x,y&z models. What are you guys using??
ChrisK

Re: Noob UK build

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:59 pm

There are no step by steps. Yet. That has been on my list. I will see if I can at least get a rough draft written this weekend and then we can start refining it and adding pictures. Ask whatever questions you need to here to get you to the prize.

Normal RepRap position based on xyz. GUS positions off of the distance from each shoulder. What I do is through normal gcode into segmentize and it produces gcode with this modified coordinate space. You then feed this gcode to the printer.

It is possible in the future that the coordinate transformation can be located in the firmware so you can seen normal xyz coordinates to the printer.

Note: this will be a little rough for a first build. We will help in any way that we can. However, the state of affairs is that no one has gotten GUS to the point that it can print its own replacement parts. He can make squirrels and vases like a champ. :-)
Nicholas Seward

Postby AbuMaia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Nicholas Seward wrote:no one has gotten GUS to the point that it can print its own replacement parts. He can make squirrels and vases like a champ. :-)

This I do not understand. If GUS can print out other objects with no problem, why can it not print out replacement parts?
AbuMaia

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:16 pm

AbuMaia wrote:This I do not understand. If GUS can print out other objects with no problem, why can it not print out replacement parts?

It is all about dimensionality. Squirrels and vases are objects that fit to air. This means the dimensions don't have to be exact for it to work. I could print parts and they would even looks close but small dimensional differences will cause you problems.

That said, there are a few things we are experimenting with that should get GUS up to speed. 1) We can replace the printed spool with a machined one. 2) We can map the error in the positioning and correct for it.
Nicholas Seward

Postby ChrisK » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks for the help Nicholas. So far the exploded views have been real helpful especially once I read a lot of the hex holes between the bearings were not to hold nuts but just for printability. (Are all nuts the nyloc variety?)
The next step (and challenge) for me will be to get the base plates sorted. Are they usually wood?

Also can this be driven by the more usual Arduino RAMPS as I have yet to find a source for the chipset you use in the UK?
Dimensional accuracy is not a primary concern for me as I will be mainly printing toys for my boy and stuff he designs in minecraft and secondlife though there are a thew things I've designed for my camera rig I would like to print. Also, like all reprap builders, I do look forward to the day my printer grows up and replicates itself :D
ChrisK

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 pm

All nyloc.

Ramps will work well.

Base plates can be any flatstock that is stiff enough. Aluminum, wood, acrylic, etc
Nicholas Seward

Postby ChrisK » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:05 pm

About the bolts. I notice that the bolts on most of the build photos and the inventor files have a smooth shaft section with only the last section threaded. The bolts I have come across so far to buy are threaded all the way down. Is this going to be an issue, particularly where the threading will be forced to sit in the threads?
ChrisK

Postby Guizmo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:13 pm

I would say yes.

It will cause strange changes on effective diameter, which will affect the linearity of the system. I guess it will cause a simmilar effect as an excentric motor pulley. I would try harder to find the correct bolts, otherwise, I believe you could cover that section with some small diameter tube.
Guizmo

Postby tommythorn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 am

With the risk of exposing my ignorance, is this the kind of bolt we need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/M8-x-100-Stainless-Hex-Bolts-2-pack-/200717518975?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2ebbb2487f&vxp=mtr

Clearly eBay isn't a good place to shop for this (unlike bearings which are aplenty). Any links to bolts that would work? I wouldn't mind if we added them to the BOM to reduce the risk of getting the wrong things.
tommythorn

Postby Nicholas Seward » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:52 pm

https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/categories-of-products/product/270797-m8-high-tensile-zinc-hexagon-bolts/category_pathway-122

These are the bolts you are looking for. I am notoriously bad about sourcing in foreign countries so you might be able to get much better prices than these.
Nicholas Seward

Next

Return to GUS Simpson