Build log : GUS 2.5

Build log : GUS 2.5

Postby Viproz » Mon May 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Hello,

I am building a GUS Simpson with external stringing and I now have taken some photos so this is the post where I'll share all my pictures, I'll try to take a good number of them ;)

You can see everything that I bought here : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =603835193
In the first tab you can use the filterviews to see only vitamin/plastic part/screws (just so you know screws are not up to date anymore) in the others tab you have : a complete detailled BOM where I broke it down into parts, what I already bought with shipping time and comments on the shipper (Keep in mind that I am in France) and then you have a ruff estimate of the quantity of plastic you need to print all the parts needed.

Where I'm at right now :
I currently have almost all the parts, I'm missing the hobbed bolt, the U bearings and some screws.
I am printing the plastic parts, I hope I'll be done in a week or so, I had a bit of issues at the beginning with the printer I'm using
I found some better parameters and we fixed the hard point so I also have some beautiful pieces

Here is the printer I'm using btw

And about the electronics I just finished to connect my Smoothie with the LCD and a motor to test everything and it works !

All right, I hope I'll have some more pictures to post here soon :)
Viproz

Re: Build log : GUS 2.5

Postby ekaggrat » Tue May 10, 2016 7:01 am

great start. but i will warn you that looking at your prints your printer is not well calibrated. The printed parts might not be that accurate and cause you problems later on when you string the arms.

But still looking forward to our print results.. :mrgreen:
ekaggrat

Postby tommythorn » Tue May 10, 2016 9:56 pm

Hey, I'm right there with you :)

Just printed my first GUS 2.5 slave+motor arm (took 2 x 10 hours) and I'll post pictures soon.

Unfortunately, despite multiple attempts, I cannot get CURA working correctly with my TwoUp,
so I'm using Slic3r and the support is really really hard to get off. I fear I might have to
reprint it if I can find better settings.
tommythorn

Postby Viproz » Wed May 11, 2016 9:30 am

ekaggrat wrote:great start. but i will warn you that looking at your prints your printer is not well calibrated. The printed parts might not be that accurate and cause you problems later on when you string the arms.

But still looking forward to our print results.. :mrgreen:

What makes you say that ?
We did have some issues with a hard point and then the belt too loose, had also an issue with the first layer of the slave arm so I have a corner that went up but that won't be an issue.

tommythorn wrote:Unfortunately, despite multiple attempts, I cannot get CURA working correctly with my TwoUp,
so I'm using Slic3r and the support is really really hard to get off. I fear I might have to
reprint it if I can find better settings.

Hey, I'm using Slic3r too, the support are fairly easy to remove, if I remember correctly I'm using 3 interface layer, rectilinear support detachable, I'll post all my settings in here as soon as I can copy them. I just used some pliers, a file and some drilldits to get all of the support off.
Viproz

Postby ekaggrat » Wed May 11, 2016 10:28 pm

i have built a gus 1.5 with all part printed on a mendelmax. Inspite of all well printed objects the arm have positional errors. Thats why just advising to not waste your time with crappy prints. get hold of a well calibrated printer or you will be pulling your hair later on . :mrgreen:
ekaggrat

Postby Viproz » Mon May 16, 2016 9:16 pm

All right I have quite a bit of progress to share !

So right now I've assembled two arms, you can see them there : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... xAr953bcXc
One is using a fishing line made of fluorocarbon so it is supposed to be very rigid but what I took is really too small and it is too elastic.
For the other arm I used piano wire, it's much more rigid and gives a lot of tension but maybe too much, when I move it by hand it feels fairly hard. On the other hand the motor seems to be able to move it just fine.

Also here are my parameters for the printer I'm using, note that I am only using support to print the arms.
Attachments
14.05.ini
(3.59 KiB) Downloaded 1041 times
Viproz

Postby ekaggrat » Wed May 18, 2016 5:55 am

take a vernier and measure the gap between the bolts by commanding the motor to move 10mm steps. then put the values in excel and plot the variation in the differnce between commanded move and actual move on a graph, it should not have error more that 0.1 - 0.2mm from commanded position . if so then you will end up with wiggly or warped prints
ekaggrat

Postby Jfriesen » Fri May 20, 2016 4:52 am

Wow great progress! Is that piano wire you are using for strings? It looks like it may provide nice stiffness. I think the prints look good enough but the true test is as he says using some calipers. Make sure you have lots of pretension! Also keep track of pain points etc. during your build so we can improve the experience for people in the future.
Jfriesen

Postby Viproz » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:55 pm

Well I haven't been very regular with this thread...

So about the piano wire it wasn't a good idea, it broke quickly I switched to fishing line.

I wrote a bit of code to make the edge branch of smoothie work with GUS, here is my branch : https://github.com/Viproz/Smoothieware
My config file is attached to the post.

To be able to calibrate the GUS fairly easily I wrote a matlab script, you give it the settings you have set with a few points containing what it should be and what it is in reality and it will try to optimize the values.

All and all it looks promising, I need to to some more calibration and I'll try to take a video.
Attachments
config.txt
(24.4 KiB) Downloaded 928 times
MATLAB.zip
Not polished, just for reference
(4.26 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
Viproz

Postby ekaggrat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:32 am

any progress?
ekaggrat

Next