Printed Spools

Re: Printed Spools

Postby ChrisK » Fri May 23, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm having problems with the aluminium spooks linked earlier in this thread. Seems the size weakens the gearing of the spools if you know what I mean, the motors cannot lift the arms. Shame, they looked so damn cool!
Have you guys built and tried out these new aluminium spools?
ChrisK

Postby NeoTheFox » Fri May 23, 2014 7:15 pm

ChrisK wrote:I'm having problems with the aluminium spooks linked earlier in this thread. Seems the size weakens the gearing of the spools if you know what I mean, the motors cannot lift the arms. Shame, they looked so damn cool!
Have you guys built and tried out these new aluminium spools?

I never did this, however If you are 100% shure they are not lifting ok, maaaybe you should try sanding the spools, so they grip string harder? Are engines skipping?

I've been thinking about manufacturing a wooden ones with something hard, like oak tree. I can make some spare ones if I'll succeed ;)
NeoTheFox

Postby ChrisK » Sat May 24, 2014 1:12 am

the motors seem to be slipping internally. the motors vibrate a lot and if you watch the top of the spools they either don't move or move in the wrong direction.
So are you using the larger spools? Are you using a single wrap around the bolts or two??
ChrisK

Postby Niggle » Sat May 24, 2014 4:33 am

Are the motors getting enough power? I've seen problems like that with my motors when I turned the potentiometer on the stepper driver too low. Too low and they don't have the power to move the arm, but too high and they get hot enough to soften the PLA they are bolted to.
Niggle

Postby timrwilliams » Sat May 24, 2014 8:29 am

Do the motors turn smoothly and in the correct direction without any load.
Lots of vibration could be a motor wiring problem.
timrwilliams

Postby ChrisK » Sat May 24, 2014 8:53 am

without load they move nice and smooth. The arm that still has a smaller spool works perfect (off the same driver) but I think I remember some of them also giving this problem at times.
Adjusting the steppers totally slipped my mind, in fact never really knew what the adjustment was for. I'll have to break out that odd ceramic screwdriver that came with the RAMPS and drivers. Thanks

What diameter spools is everyone using, anyone successfully got the large aluminium ones that were linked at the start of this thread working?
ChrisK

Postby ChrisK » Sat May 24, 2014 8:58 am

NeoTheFox wrote:
I never did this, however If you are 100% shure they are not lifting ok, maaaybe you should try sanding the spools, so they grip string harder? Are engines skipping?

I've been thinking about manufacturing a wooden ones with something hard, like oak tree. I can make some spare ones if I'll succeed ;)

Just occured to me that printing slightly oversized blanks in the wood style filament may save you some woodworking time and solve the difficult bit of getting the thread channels in the spools. You could then use conventional woodworking tools to cut a nice face and spindle hole
ChrisK

Postby timrwilliams » Sat May 24, 2014 9:33 am

I am still using the printed spools in ABS. These are nominally 20mm in diameter. Mine have a +- 0.1mm run out and I don't think that was the inaccuracy problem I was having. That is much more to do with arm hysteresis and bed levelling.
I did plan to use machined acetal (19mm diam) rod with a 1mm thread cut. I have used these in other column Deltas. But in practice I don't seem to get any drive filament crossing with plain spools.
The stepper drivers do get quite warm even with heat sinks, and I shall fit a board fan. But the motors do not even seem warm during long prints.
I did try to fully bench test each separate arm under a dummy load before full assembly. This made arm calibration much easier too.
timrwilliams

Postby ChrisK » Sat May 24, 2014 11:58 am

I think I may well stick with the printed spools, the ali ones were too big in many dimensions, too tall too.
i'd rather not throw voltage at this problem and run in to heat problems elsewhere.
I'll live with the innacuracies till some better sized alloy spools are found.

they did look dead good tho 8-)

edit: the next printed spool arm I put together gave me the same trouble (even on the same driver that drove the other without problems, though that's a 5v motor) so as I have to turn up the juice anyway I'm back to the alloy spools.
Last edited by ChrisK on Sat May 24, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisK

Postby NeoTheFox » Sat May 24, 2014 1:35 pm

ChrisK wrote:wood style filament

Nah, too expensive to even bother. I have a CNC mashine for this, however it can only work with wood and other soft materials. Some folks from other lab tried aluminum and it was ok, but I thing wood is more useful here. The main problem is I still struggle with calibrating on printed spools, and it is far from perfect, and I need it calibrated to even notice the difference.
NeoTheFox

PreviousNext

Return to GUS Simpson