French white Gus Simpson build log!

French white Gus Simpson build log!

Postby smor » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:43 am

Hi all,

I'm Stéphane. First, let me wish you a happy new year! Then, let me introduce the French White Gus Simpson 3D printer which I'm building! I belong to a fablab in Lyon, France, called the "Fabrique d'Objets Libres".

I printed the parts with "pearl white PLA" on a Ultimaker Original, which gives it a nice shiny look. Most things went fine, and what didn't was mostly my fault. I found the parts to come out pretty neatly with the recommended settings on the RepRap page. I do have to re-print the pulleys, though, as I can't pass the fishing line into the tiny holes close to the shaft hole.

The board was laser cut in 5mm MDF and came out pretty neat too.

The motors, I got from another Prusa project we have yet to complete, and the Melzi from a Mendel Tricolour which does not give me enough satisfaction with one extruder to attempt a tri-extruder version yet!

So here it is, with the motors mounted, most bolts, nuts and screws, rubber feet and guitar tuner installed.
The shortened Flickr set url: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjQssTtF

Next steps:
- I still need a bed: I plan on having a deep black stone cut, which will give it weight and good looks! Don't you use heated bed? Could you tell me more about the "basalt bed" on the BOM?
- I ordered a J-Head. Is there anything to change for it to work?
- I need small springs (You wouldn't imagine how ridiculously difficult some simple supplying is here!! When we read american blogs, everything seems to be next door!)
- I need a PSU to feed the beast.
- The G-Code post-processor seems to work, but how do you interface it directly to Repetier? Mainly tell it where the IN and OUT files are?

Please tell me what you think, and if you have any advice, I'm eager to ear them.

Also, I was thinking about adapting a Dremel flexible shaft instead of the hotend. What do you think about it? Is it realistic? I don't know how to articulate it... bigger bearings maybe? If I give you the dimensions of the shaft, could you adapt the 3 hub parts to make a mill mod? Wing nuts could allow quick changes, along with a different config in Repetier. It's best if it's changed at the source, and you know your machine much better than me!

Thank you very much, I love the elegant design and apparent simplicity of this printer! Also, the whole thing cost a rough 200€ up to now, which is pretty cheap.

All the best,
Stéphane
smor

Re: French white Gus Simpson build log!

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:44 am

I updated the printed spool on github. It is much easier to use and to get the string to track. I am also going to experiment with this purchased one.

The basalt bed is just 3/8" thick that I had water jet cut. I put a slicone heater pad under the basalt. It take a while to heat up.

JHeads are shorter so you have to be mindful that you don't get too close to the singularity where the hub bolts and the shoulder bolts are all planar.

I used springs that would provide 3lbf but I think I might need to increase that. Any springs that you can find that will fit on the back and can provide a max force from 3-6lbf. You might also want to experiment with no springs. The system may not require springs. I would like to see this tested.

I haven't modified the preprocessor to work with Repetier. It shouldn't be that hard but as with all things i need more time. BTW, the preprocessor was also recently updated.

My machine is stable enough for printing but I am sure that it won't be able to handle any forces associated with milling.
Nicholas Seward

Return to GUS Simpson