My super cool build story, GUS Simpson

My super cool build story, GUS Simpson

Postby Lochemage » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi guys,

It doesn't look like there is a forum specifically for posting up your build progress, so I thought I would start one here. If this is the wrong place, or if you just don't want it, please let me know.

First off, a little about me. I am a software engineer, I've been making video games for maybe the first 6 years of my career; Now I write simulation training games for the government. I have many hobbies, such as RC Helicopters, Programming, and even paper crafting. I have been 3D printing for maybe 3 years now. My first printer was a MakerGear Prusa i2 that I purchased as a kit and built. I've made some mods and upgrades to it, all posted on Thingiverse. I have recently put together a Rostock MAX from SeeMeCNC and am loving it (as well as the Delta configuration style). I saw the GUS Simpson a few months ago and have since decided that I want to try my hand at building it.

It has gotten some good use, but alas my Prusa has been laid to rest. I have taken it apart and am now planning on re-using the electronics for my new GUS Simpson build. As of right now, I have almost every plastic part printed. However, I have not ordered any of the vitamins needed as of yet. I think my main hurdle will be figuring out how to make the platform plates. I have limited woodworking skills, but I have met someone with a laser cutter who has offered to help me with my build, so we'll see how that goes.

I will be posting plenty of pictures and updating everyone here on my progress with this build, I hope you enjoy it. Until then, you are all welcome to view my rmax build story here.

Thanks
Last edited by Lochemage on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Lochemage

My super cool build stories: Rostock MAX, GUS Simpson

"Give a man a compliment and he'll be all, 'Yeah, I've been working out.' Teach a man to fish for a compliment and he'll be all, 'I feel SO fat.'" - Bob FM
Lochemage

Re: My super cool build story, GUS Simpson

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Welcome and good luck! Drop me a line anytime you need help.
Nicholas Seward

Postby brandonh » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Welcome!

Nicholas, do you how many GUS are out there?

I know of yours and Bill's running, and there's mine as of last night, but out of curiosity, are there any others that you know to be in the "moving around" stage?
brandonh

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Those are the only ones I know but there are many many more that are one their way.
Nicholas Seward

Postby owens-bill » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:38 am

GUS #1 is still in pieces, disassembled after Maker Faire for cleaning and upgrade to the new arms. Everything's printed, he needs re-stringing and reassembly. Soon. . .
owens-bill

Postby Rasputin73 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:04 am

I think I'm getting ready to start my build. This may sound crazy but I'm going to try this as my first machine.

Here's what I've got so far:
  • I've got a friend with a Makerbot Replicator 2 who will probably be willing to print my plastics
  • Purchased my Azteeg x1 controller
  • bought stepper motors
  • bought hot end
  • bought filament drive
  • I'm still waiting on the back-ordered motor drivers.
Here's what I still need to order:
  • Filament (both for myself, and for my friend to print parts on his Makerbot
  • Bowden Tube
Bearings, bolts, line, etc... can all be bought locally as needed. The build platform will probably be a 1/4" aluminum plate. I can shape and drill that myself without any expected problems. I have plenty of acceptable power supplies.

So now I'm anxiously waiting for my motor drivers so I can get started! What else am I forgetting/overlooking? Am I crazy to try this as my first build?
Rasputin73

Postby Lochemage » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:30 am

Alright, before this thread gets too far off track, here is my first chapter.

Most of the pieces were printed in gold ABS, but I think I may re-print the center HUB bolt parts in green.

The quality isn't perfect, but I think they are adequate enough. I printed the tall center HUB bolt as it was designed, but I felt it was a little too weak structurally for my tastes. Printing tall, thin, objects break easier. Since the bolt is probably going to take the brunt of the force acting on it, I decided to make a small change. Instead of printing it straight upwards, I laid it down flat and printed it that way instead. The result is a very sturdy center HUB bolt that has a flat side, but it still should work perfectly.

As for the electronics, I ordered SeeMeCNC's very nice heated platform that they use for the Orion. It is small enough to fit on the Simpson with some minor modification.

Along with the new part, I have all of the parts I used on my old printer, waiting to be re-used.

They've got a good amount of wear and tear, but many miles left to go on them. I plan to re-wire the endstops so they are NC instead.

So far, this is what I have. Still some major pieces missing, and I don't know when (or where) I will be getting them. I am hoping, if possible, to find a single shop that carried them all in which I could do one bulk order and be done. From them I'll need a number of nuts and bolts, the guitar tuning pegs, bearings, etc. For the build plate, I know someone who's offered to cut them with their laser cutter; I just need to figure out exactly what he needs to cut, as I plan to make some minor mods to the design to fit the Orion heated platform as well as my own extruder cold end.

For high res images, visit the photo album here: http://imgur.com/a/PH191

EDIT: For anyone interested, here is the modified HUB screw:
HUB SCREW FLAT.zip
(960.61 KiB) Downloaded 752 times
Last edited by Lochemage on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Lochemage

"Give a man a compliment and he'll be all, 'Yeah, I've been working out.' Teach a man to fish for a compliment and he'll be all, 'I feel SO fat.'" - Bob FM
Lochemage

Postby Rasputin73 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:51 am

Wow Lochemage. I'm envious of how close you are! That all looks pretty nice. I'm still patiently awaiting my stepper drivers and I haven't event started trying to print parts. Hopefully I'll start to catch up with all you trailblazers soon. :D

Thanks for sharing it!
Rasputin73

Postby Nicholas Seward » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:55 am

That is some good stuff. I especially like printing the hub screw sideways. I am not sure I will change it in the repo because many people squish the first layer and this would be annoying to cleanup.

Big note: The spools you printed have been updated. I made the spools much easier to print, put some nut traps in, and increased the diameter. With the new spools you have to double the loops around the bolts but I have verified that I can get them to track perfectly with a minimum of fuss.

https://github.com/NicholasSeward/ConceptFORGE/blob/master/GUS%20Simpson/STLs/PULLEY.stl

Use nylocs for the nut traps and use 2 M3-8s.

EDIT: To mount the JHead you will have to print a mount for a Kossel. Brandon also used a JHead so he will be more help.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Lochemage » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:00 am

Rasputin73 wrote:Wow Lochemage. I'm envious of how close you are! That all looks pretty nice. I'm still patiently awaiting my stepper drivers and I haven't event started trying to print parts. Hopefully I'll start to catch up with all you trailblazers soon. :D

Thanks for sharing it!

Ah, something I failed to mention in my post, but these parts were all designed very well for printing. I had minimal trouble, and they don't require any support generation. Good luck with your build as well!
- Lochemage

Lochemage

Next

Return to GUS Simpson