Flipping GUS on his head

Flipping GUS on his head

Postby Dpharris » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:43 am

Would it be possible to flip GUS on his head, i.e. have his arms hang down? Build height would be enhanced, especially is there was a raisable build platform.
Dpharris

Re: Flipping GUS on his head

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:51 am

Sure but you need a different z. The bed as is relies on gravity.

EDIT: Somehow I got my wires crossed and thought you were talking about Wally. GUS is good either way.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Dpharris » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:53 am

Doesn't gravity work just as well with GUS upside down? GUS with a fixed bed would have approx the same build volume. If the floor can move up and down, then this is extended.

Perhaps, I am not clear. This is basically putting GUS upside down in LISA's case.
Dpharris

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:19 am

My mistake.

You can flip GUS. The volume doesn't make as much sense. If you allow the shoulders to go up and down you can make the volume make sense again but then you essentially have an over-complicated LISA. I am trying to figure out how we can hybrid LISA and GUS to get a 5-6DOF machine.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Dpharris » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:54 am

1. I was just thinking that a flipped-GUS might have some advantages. The moving base would be like Wally's build platform, say.

2. 5/6 -- could you have flipped-GUS, a build platform that is gimballed in the centre on a rod free to rise, and the edges of the platform controlled by, say, another set of (simplified) GUS-arms? Then the build could be tipped nicely for the vertical hot end to work on it. I am sure you will run with this, if it has any merit :-)
Dpharris

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:01 am

A gimballed patform is interesting. I really want a 4+ DOF machine.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Dpharris » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:50 am

Can you explain a bit more? Do you mean being able to apply filament at any angle? Are we not limited by gravity at the printhead tip, ie by overhang? By tipping the printed object, do we not let us escape the overhand, at least to some degree?
Dpharris

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:01 am

Gravity has nothing to do with the overhang limit. It has everything to do with the angle of the layer relative to the overhang. The layer's normal and the extruder need to be within 45 degrees of each other.
Nicholas Seward

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:07 am

Nicholas Seward wrote:A gimballed patform is interesting. I really want a 4+ DOF machine.

If the ball-bearing pivots on the effector were turned into ball joints, and you added another set of motors (for a total of six), it seems like you might be able to route string to control the effector angle and make a 6 dof machine. But just thinking about the kinematics is making my head hurt... :)
cdsteinkuehler

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:15 am

Nicholas Seward wrote:A gimballed patform is interesting. I really want a 4+ DOF machine.

<doh> Or just do a Simpson squared. One set of arms to control the effector, and one set to control (tilt) the build platform. :o
cdsteinkuehler

Next

Return to GUS Simpson