Exploded views

Exploded views

Postby imrahil » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi,
My name is Jarek and I'm from Poland. I'm big fan of GUS design :)

EDIT: new, better versions available here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25#p613

EDIT 2: versions with descriptions available here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77&p=711#p711

First of all: I'm not familiar with Autodesk Inventor but I was curious how GUS is build and where screws, nuts and bearings (and other small parts) from BOM are located.
So I installed 30-days demo of Inventor and converted the whole scene to STL and then I created some exploded views in Blender.

I think it can be helpful for other beginners like me :)

GUS_render01.jpg
Shoulder
GUS_render01.jpg (16.43 KiB) Viewed 76598 times

GUS_render02.jpg
Motor arm
GUS_render02.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 76598 times

GUS_render03.jpg
Slave arm
GUS_render03.jpg (24.66 KiB) Viewed 76598 times

Larger versions of images are available in my G+ album

Cheers!
Last edited by imrahil on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
imrahil

Re: Exploded view

Postby Guizmo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:37 pm

This is what I needed. Thanks!
Guizmo

Postby Guizmo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm

I would like to point out some part misplacements to avoid confusion, though:

Picture 1 .- The washer shown below the bolt has to be a plastic washer (I'm sure it is, but the gray color is confusing). The lower bearing and washer are shown below the lower plate, but in fact, the bearing must be inserted in the elbow and the washer goes between the bearing and the lower plate. The nut goes past the lower plate, with no washer, although I think using a washer would be a good idea so not to damage the surface of the plate (unless I'm unaware of some facts). Also, the upper plate is not shown, but only the heated bed. Upper bed should be immediately below the heated bed (shown in black), with the circular pocket (silicon heater holder) facing the heated bed.

Picture 2.- What looks like a plastic peg in the lower part of the arm is in fact a metal bolt. Actually, both bearings shown and the nut are part of the elbow (they should be in picture 1 but are not). Washer is in correct position, between elbow and motor arm.

Picture 3.- The bolt shown in fact goes first through the corresponding hub part with its bearings and all. The motor holding screws are shown yellow in their working position.

I wish I could create some exploded views but the Inventor version I use is 2010 and cannot open the 2013 files. I only have the free viewer.

Feel free to make corrections if I'm wrong.
Guizmo

Postby imrahil » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi! Don't treat this exploded views as build instruction or something :)

I created them super fast when I was super excited about Simpson and I had no knowledge about Inventor. Now I'm even more excited so I'm learning how to do the same in Inventor's module for exploded views.

I promise to provide better images this weekend.

BTW: anyone can register as "student" and download full version of Autodesk Inventor 2014
imrahil

Postby Guizmo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:32 pm

No problem.

I just wanted to help too. This is normal, I've been corrected many times and that's good because you keep learning. ;)

Probably you don't intended this images to be used as instruction, but believe me, they will.

Great if you can provide more accurate images!
Guizmo

Postby Jason Fisher » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:06 pm

Interesting. I think we should be able to script the blender engine to create exploded views automatically for us. Basically scan the space with a collision box, pick out adjacent parts with a distance modifier, group adjacent parts. Detect explosion orientation by identifying rods/axles/bolt orientation (hide everything else, analyze dimensions, collision detect for a bolt head or long rod shape) and assign a center/orientation to the grouping. Expand space between groupings and then explode groupings. When a grouping has more than N or % objects, it is given subgroups wth tighter locality constraints and expanded and exploded again, like a self-organizing flow chart/mind-mapping tool might.
Jason Fisher

Postby Guizmo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:51 pm

That sounds good Jason!

That way anyone can create an exploded view of any assembly. Do you know how to do it?
Guizmo

Postby imrahil » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm

New, fixed versions from Autodesk Inventor! :D
BTW: I added Inventor presentation files to my fork on Github - https://github.com/imrahil/ConceptFORGE ... OR%20FILES (maybe someday Nicholas merge them into main repo :mrgreen: )

SHOULDER_exploded.png
SHOULDER_exploded.png (301.59 KiB) Viewed 76309 times

MOTOR ARM_exploded.png
MOTOR ARM_exploded.png (336.13 KiB) Viewed 76309 times

SLAVE ARM_exploded.png
SLAVE ARM_exploded.png (230.04 KiB) Viewed 76309 times

Larger versions of images are available in my G+ album
Last edited by imrahil on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imrahil

Postby Nicholas Seward » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:32 pm

@imrahil: Send me a pull request and I will add it in. Thanks!!!
Nicholas Seward

Postby Guizmo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:14 pm

Excellent!

Not they CAN be used a an assembly aid :)
Guizmo

Next

Return to GUS Simpson