Design for developing countries

Design for developing countries

Postby kizinfo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:18 pm

I was looking for a design that does away with linear rails, extrusion etc. that only uses things that can be made/sourced locally at low cost in say a developing country. Some items will always have to be shipped (like motors, electronics), but the quantity/weight of these should be kept to a minimum to avoid high shipping fees.

GUS (and wally) seem to fit that almost perfectly (well, apart from the basalt bed!), so I am thinking of building GUS for myself to see how it works. I started putting together the stl's as an assembly in blender to see how it fits together and it seems ok with forums to help for guidance like stringing.

I wanted to ask if you had seen richrap 3dr printer (http://richrap.blogspot.co.il/2013/07/3 ... lease.html)? What about using his printed base concept (perhaps with integrated motor mounts) with GUS arms?
kizinfo

Re: Design for developing countries

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:47 pm

I would steer you away from the printed base because you can't print on it anyways. Two pieces of any flat stock with 3 holes in each is all you need for the bottom and build plate.

I would ditch the basalt and the heated bed if you are targeting developing countries. The one problem is that you need the heated bed to print the parts for GUS. We could possible slice some of the parts up so we can print them on a cold bed.

Motors can't be mounted on the base as is. The motors have to be on the arms for simplicity.
Nicholas Seward

Return to GUS Simpson