A redesign of the GUS Arm for easy external stringing

A redesign of the GUS Arm for easy external stringing

Postby Jfriesen » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Hey guys, I have been posting in the GUS v2 thread on some incremental design improvements I've been making with GUS. I first built GUS with some minor changes to the slave/motor arms. The primary change was the addition of V-cut bearings to reduce cable tension. This went a long way toward improving performance.

I still wasn't happy with it for a few reasons. The major problem was the actuators were extremely tedious to string up, so repair and or modification was a huge pain

To address this I created a new arm design, and have made a video demonstrating it here:

https://youtu.be/TezuaR0LUQQ

I'm currently printing out several more arms so I can test the full build but figured I'd start a thread for those who are interested. In a couple days I'm going to post all of my modified designs etc. to github. Over the holidays I'm going to focus on generating as much documentation as I can as well to try and give back. Would love to hear any feedback!
Attachments
11132015132717.jpg
11132015132717.jpg (150.73 KiB) Viewed 86195 times
Jfriesen

Re: A redesign of the GUS Arm for easy external stringing

Postby ekaggrat » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:22 am

cool, i downloaded your files and got hold of solidworks 2016 to have a look at them. good work i must say. i will make both the machines i guess now. :mrgreen: looking forward to seeing a print comparison..
ekaggrat

Postby maso » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:16 pm

I've been watching the GUS from the sidelines since this forum got started, waiting for something that looked like a good "jumping in" point.

I created a login to let you know that this is stellar!

I just finished building a printer of my own design a month ago, but after seeing your work I'm getting started on a plan to build a GUS. Thank god my wife is so patient.

Take your time getting things organized, but you've definitely got an interested party here.
maso

Postby rustynoob » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:56 am

I like what you are doing. I have been planning on doing something similar with the hub. If I can find the right bearings I want to replace the printed bolt with a piece of the threaded tubing they use for lamps it looks like your doing something similar but I haven't found where you talk about your hub modification yet.

The other thing I am planning on doing that may be worth thinking about for the next major revision is replace all the 608 bearings with the same ones I use as pulleys. That way when buying parts your getting more of the same thing so you can buy them in larger bulk and get an even better deal. I don't think having the flanges, or v groves in your case, will be a problem and we can use smaller, lighter, bolts.
Joel
rustynoob.com
rustynoob

Postby ekaggrat » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:33 am

i printed out most of the parts ( the arms are from the previous design ).. I am redesigning the hub using a brass tube with tread on both sides. once i get it done and assemble it i will post the files .. :geek:
ekaggrat

Postby Jfriesen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Busy with holiday stuff but I created a cleaned up CAD repository:

https://github.com/Jfriesen222/GUS_CAD_Files

The step and iges files were too large so I need to modify them to be smaller. BOM and documentation will follow soon.
Jfriesen

Postby ekaggrat » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:52 am

did you get it running? i was looking forward to a new timelapse video :mrgreen:
ekaggrat

Postby Viproz » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:16 am

I love your work on GUS !

For the repo I would suggest GNU since it's the license of the original GUS (https://github.com/NicholasSeward/Conce ... er/LICENSE).
Also I think it would be a good thing that you find her a little name to be able to differentiate it from original GUS, it will be better for search engines and everything, if you keep the same name people could get confused when looking up the name.
Viproz

Postby Jfriesen » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:03 am

I have most of the components printed, but I'm visiting family for the holidays so I won't be back in town to finish the build and shoot some video until the first, so probably expect to see some progress sometime around the fourth or fifth.

The prints for the new parts are coming out great (our lab recently picked up a TAZ 5, works awesome), really looking forward to getting it all built a second time.

As soon as it isn't Christmas I'll update the licensing stuff, thanks for the suggestion. I also agree some kind of name modification would be useful, but I haven't thought enough on it yet. Let me know if anyone has any ideas. In my spare time I'll try to get this BOM together with purchasing links and pricing.
Jfriesen

Postby ekaggrat » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:42 am

what bolts did you use for your build? are they standard m8 half threaded bolts? these bolts are 7.7 - 7.8 mm in diameter and the bearing are 8.1 -8.15mm in diameter. Do your bolts fit snug tight or is there some lateral movement which goes away when you tighten them?
ekaggrat

Next

Return to GUS Simpson