Help with problem identification

Help with problem identification

Postby icecube45 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:33 am

Hello again!
I got my GUS up an running... but then unfortunately needed to restring an arm.

After restring (and retuning all steps/mm and calibration points), I tested with another squirrel..

It seems all my prints are now too narrow and too tall.. and I have no idea what the problem would be..
If anyone has some ideas, please let me know.

Image
icecube45
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:13 am

Re: Help with problem identification

Postby Nicholas Seward » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:22 am

It could be a failure of segmentizer. It tries to be smart but sometimes it can do dumb stuff. Try with a minimum of touch points in a squirrel sized region in the middle. Make sure the start values are close to reality. The optimizations algorithm could find a local minimum instead of the global minimum.

You might also want to do some sanity test moves on each arm. Did you set the steps/mm for each arm so the a move of 150mm is right without +/-1mm.

I don't think that is an exhaustive list of what could be wrong but I will push it back to you to see if that helps you down the road. If not, let me know and we can look at some other things.
Nicholas Seward
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Help with problem identification

Postby icecube45 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:34 am

I tested this with other gcode and had the same results.. but
I added another point into segmentizer, and the squirrel I'm printing seems to be fine.

Seems like it is solved for now!
I'll update you on print results
icecube45
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:13 am

Re: Help with problem identification

Postby icecube45 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:43 am

Well! The squirrel is indeed back to normal!

Image
icecube45
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:13 am

Re: Help with problem identification

Postby timrwilliams » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:16 am

Congratulations on a 'printing' GUS.
It seems that you have fixed the 'tall and thin' issue.
I had a similar initial problem - see thread 'Another UK build' - and I only solved it by tightening the stringing to remove any hysteresis and by repeated bed zero calibration. As Nicholas suggested, I concentrated on a central bed area.
Even doing all this, I have not improved on +-2% dimensional accuracy.
I hope you do.

Regards
timrwilliams
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: Help with problem identification

Postby icecube45 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:34 am

timrwilliams wrote:Congratulations on a 'printing' GUS.
It seems that you have fixed the 'tall and thin' issue.
I had a similar initial problem - see thread 'Another UK build' - and I only solved it by tightening the stringing to remove any hysteresis and by repeated bed zero calibration. As Nicholas suggested, I concentrated on a central bed area.
Even doing all this, I have not improved on +-2% dimensional accuracy.
I hope you do.

Regards


Once I fix my e-steps, I hope to make an actual finished printer thread
icecube45
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:13 am


Return to GUS Simpson

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron