Another Grounded Delta- Krak3n

Re: Another Grounded Delta- Krak3n

Postby see3d » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:50 am

The Jr. was open sourced and the files are here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:469161
The firmware was also open sourced and a link is in there also. The project files were never polished up to the point of making a bunch of them.

AFAIK he only built one functional prototype.
Dave was not a very polished salesman for his projects. He could have used help with the video work. He obviously enjoys doing everything himself (a true maker). His project might have done better if he had taken his prototypes further along and cleaned them up more before launching his project. That would have instilled more confidence in the product. You can have a slick presentation, or show something that looks like it is ready to deliver today, but you must have at least one of the two if you are late to the game.
see3d

Postby timrwilliams » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:25 am

@see3d- Thanks for that link.
Out of interest, I archived some Rappidelta information back in 2013. But I must have missed the last act!

Jointed delta robots must be one of the simplest mechanisms for 3D placement. I liked the look of the early metal Rappidelta - very skeletal and minimalist!. Flipping it to make a grounded system, as Krak3n, seems to have promise.
timrwilliams

Postby GrahamHolt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:53 pm

@ Nicholas Seward- Classy move in reaching out in support of them. It doesn't surprise me coming from you, but I think that it says a lot about you and your philosophy towards all of these projects. Thanks for being who you are.
GrahamHolt

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm

I have been corresponding with them. Much has been shared with me in confidence so I want to be careful here. I do think it is okay to share that the timeline they shared is invalid. They made their website and then got crawled which probably triggered a google alert which caused the a story to be posted without any actual human-human contact. As far I can tell, they aren't ready and aren't bending to media pressure. They are continuing to work on their product and aren't going to entertain the media until they are ready.
Nicholas Seward

Postby GrahamHolt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:37 pm

I've also been in contact with Team Krak3n. The guy that I've been e-mailing seems to be a genuine person that is open to feedback and thoughts on the project. He's definitely a guy I'd hang out with and share a beer with should our paths cross in the real world.

It looks like the will be issuing an update to their press release page on Friday which promises to contain a video. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this thing in motion.
GrahamHolt

Postby brandonh » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:37 am

Their website looks good and the printer and is really clean. Worth checking out:

http://krak3n3d.com

Definitely more work for the firmware to compute the arm positions, but this looks like a pretty straightforward design and build. Makes me want to get a grounded delta like my melted Simpson replaced and running!
brandonh

Previous

Return to GUS Simpson