GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby ekaggrat » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:39 am

one question. how did you insert the bearings? you press fitted them or heated the parts?
ekaggrat
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 am

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby Jfriesen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:53 am

I found it was better to heat the plastic with our hot-air soldering rework tool at around 175 C for 5-10 seconds and press the bearings in.
Jfriesen
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby ekaggrat » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:25 am

i have put a list of fasteners and bearings .

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Is it corrrect to what you have used?
ekaggrat
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 am

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby Jfriesen » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:59 pm

This is awesome! One correction I'd make is if you use 3 M8x50 bolts for connecting the Slave Arms to the Hub you get a closer fit and the lack of bolt poking out the end of the nut makes the build envelope a bit larger (looks cleaner too). Also you're going to need maybe a 100 pack of M3 washers to use as spacers between the 623vv pulleys. I used standard m3 washers though in hind sight it may have been better to use a washer with a slightly smaller outer radius (they can touch the outer race of the 623vv bearing just barely). I'm at home for thanksgiving so I can't give you any good measurements on maximum washer size till Tuesday.

Though not critical, I also used quite a few plastite screws in place of M3's. The sharp coarse threading grips the 3d printed parts much nicer, and you're much less likely to strip out after repeated assembling/disassembling.

For the central hub I also used some 8mm OD 7mm ID stainless steel tubing. I didn't like having a 3d printed axis at the center of my printer and this fits the bowden tube for the extruder and makes it so you don't have an additional bearing type since you can use more 608's. This pushes the 608 bearing count to 20 I believe (6x3 for the arms + 4 for the central axis). I bought the tubing from mcmaster here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/152/=zzuqn9
But I had to spend some time cutting a short piece popping it in my drill press and sanding it down until it fit through my 608 bearings, since it was a bit oversized.
Jfriesen
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby ChrisK » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:35 am

I heated the parts with nothing more sophisticated than a hair dryer to help get the bearings in. Even with just that you can overheat the part so go easy.
ChrisK
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby Viproz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:28 pm

It's awesome to see some good progress made on this beautiful printer !

I tried to open your solidworks files but there are some file references messed up, some point to your D drive or to wrong names
Also I would really love to see how you implemented GUS geometry into the SmoothieWare :)

Have a nice day
Viproz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby Jfriesen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Yeah, I am in the midst of a redesign to make stringing the actuators up easier. The CAD definitely isn't camera ready. I am waiting to get it stable before I invest time in packaging it up for external use.

Here is a github repository for my smoothie branch:

https://github.com/Jfriesen222/Smoothieware

Check out the GUS files in the arm solutions folder and also I included my bed leveling g code in a folder at the root of the repository. I also have all my config options saved in config.default

Best, Jeff.
Jfriesen
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby ekaggrat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:56 am

i think the solidworks individual files are fine. I downloaded and printed a arm set. the stls right now are messed up.
ekaggrat
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 am

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby Jfriesen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:55 am

I think when Ekaggrat grabbed the files they were good, but I probably messed them up in my fiddling lately. Been busy and organization has slipped a bit. Perhaps he can share the snapshot he grabbed? I might be able to snag a previous version from drive, I think they have some kind of shoddy versioning in place. If only github worked better with solidworks files.

My experimental arm is assembled sitting on my desk now and working well with the caveat that one small change in geometry yielded a non-linearity which I am going to fix (Didn't realize I need to put the arm pivot point in line with the pulley axes), so once it is working just the way I want it to I'll take a pass to clean out all the missing references etc. You can string this new arm up in about 3 minutes and it has 1.6 times the mechanical advantage of the previous arm. The cables also are routed much more cleanly onto the spool, video of my messy prototype here (waiting on a shipment of new filament so all my prints are from scraps):

https://youtu.be/up8kTLOdSV4
Jfriesen
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby ekaggrat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:00 pm

I built a arm set if the previous version and did the stringing which was a PITA. I like the simplicity of the new version but still prefer the strings hidden inside. I think we need one more iteration to make it better.
ekaggrat
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to GUS Simpson

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron