GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Re: GUS v2 Goal Setting/Discussion

Postby ekaggrat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:55 am

super cool.

Fyi just use blue tape on wood/acrylic as it always fails on metal as the base tends to cool down faster(heatsink)

have you tried a cube print and measured the dimensions?

just holding back on printing GUS .!! :D
ekaggrat

Postby Jfriesen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:05 am

Nope, I'll get a cube print going tomorrow and report back with measurements. I think it should come out pretty tight, I've done lots of tip displacement measures and they are generally with 0.1mm accuracy. I'm going to re-calibrate more carefully tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip. That makes sense, I just had success with blue tape on other non-metal printers. I'll get the heated bed working soon, it's all wired up I'm just worried about blowing my cheapo power supply and having to wait for a new one to ship.
Jfriesen

Postby ekaggrat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:24 am

could you share your preliminary files?
ekaggrat

Postby Jfriesen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:58 am

Yeah, here's a link to Google drive:

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B7Fi ... 1RQVk/edit

The solidworks is a bit sloppy. STLs folder should have all the recents. I'm planning to clean it all up before I move it to github but if you're willing to sort through a bit it's all there.
Jfriesen

Postby ekaggrat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:43 am

cool thanks, i want to build one arm to play with it and then change a bit of aesthetics before i go ful fledged :D :D
ekaggrat

Postby timrwilliams » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:27 am

Looks like a pretty big victory to me.! Congratulations.
Tho' a pretty strange looking squirrel, (see early threads)
Have you managed to dispense with Gcode preprocessing?
Good to see GUS interest is continuing.
Regards
timrwilliams

Postby ekaggrat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:51 am

is it possible to save as solidworks 2013/2012?

thanks
ekaggrat

Postby Jfriesen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks, yeah no g-code preprocessing anymore. Not telling a machine how it works in its own firmware is too scary for me haha.

Unfortunately no.... solidworks is greedy like that. I'll export as a .step or .iges and throw it in a folder today.
Jfriesen

Postby Jfriesen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Ok I created a folder with the assembly saved in a new format, should be there in the drive folder.

I implemented a z-grid bed leveling algorithm in smoothie yesterday (took me awhile to figure out the right g-code and config settings). It seems to work well and I printed a 5cm calibration cube to check my accuracy. The results were something like 4.93 x 5.01 x 4.97 or something, video here if you want details:

https://youtu.be/NkJooB_TeNY

I'm working to clean up the bed leveling routine so it's nice and easy to execute. It saves to a config file so it isn't required to run each time before printing. Even after re-homing etc. the bed-leveling seems to remain accurate so homing probably isn't necessary for every print. The only calibration that is still required before printing is the z-offset (usually 1 mm or so) but I'm working to also save this to the config to remove that requirement.

I'll ppost a bed-leveling vid soon.
Jfriesen

Postby ekaggrat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 pm

wow congratulations .

That is good as a calibration cube on a delta style printer. On my 3dr even after a lot of adjustment a calibaration cube of 20mm measured 20.1x19.9 mm . I only use manual calibration. u could look into to least sq calibaration technique the reprap firmware branch of dc42 uses..
ekaggrat

PreviousNext

Return to GUS Simpson