Anybody home?

Anybody home?

Postby Rasputin73 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:10 am

I hesitate to post this but I'm saddened by the lack of activity on here lately. This project, like so many of Nicholas' designs, is innovative and mesmerizing to watch. More importantly, it's also the most RepRap-able design I've seen to date. There is so much potential here.

So, where has everyone gone? It''s been 2 1/2 weeks since the last post to the forum. I haven't heard of any issues that make me question the usefulness of the GUS. At least none that are 'deal breakers'. Sure there are issues with the printed spools, the need for software pre-processing, string tension, and print scaling accuracy but those are all loose ends. The major engineering is solid. This will never be the dominant 3D printer in the market, but I'm convinced it's the RepRap of the future. That will only happen if it doesn't stall out and loose momentum.

So whats it going to take?
Rasputin73

Re: Anybody home?

Postby imrahil » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:41 am

I'm busy printing on my Simpson! :) Don't have time to post something...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvBiYF5IgAA2dig.jpg:large
imrahil

Postby timrwilliams » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:30 am

Thats an impressive print Jarek. Two colour?

It has seemed a bit quiet recently.

I am still using GUS regularly with reasonable accuracy and reliability, but it isn't the printer I first turn to for quick printing, it take time to set up.
I still want to add a heated bed and try ABS prints.
But as the hardware/firmware works I don't plan any more big changes to MK1

Regards to all
timrwilliams

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:20 pm

I am working on version 2. I have acetal balls so I can make my own lazy susan. I have a ring of leds to light the print. I have ordered metal spools of many different sizes. I have some FSRs to mount in the hub for autoleveling/calibration. Etc etc. I am moving in that direction but not quickly. Much testing will have to be done on the possible design changes.
Nicholas Seward

Postby see3d » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:10 pm

When a new idea starts up, there is a lot of giant paint strokes of activity to find the limits of what will or won't work. Many variations have to be tried to narrow the possibilities to a desirable range of tradeoffs. This is the 10% inspiration/invention phase of the design. Then the 90% engineering phase begins, where fine details are painted in, and much testing happens to make the design stable and reliable. It is incremental design that seems to go at a snails pace. This is the most important phase for a design that can be duplicated and give satisfaction in use. Only 10% of the ingenious designs ever make it through this phase, because it is not as much fun as starting up with a new idea for the creative mind. That is what is great about an open source design. It gives some engineering type minds the opportunity to help fill in the details and test them. :ugeek:
see3d

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:19 pm

@see3d: very true. I like wild and crazy ideas more than I like iterating. I have to force myself through the refinement stage. As you said, that is why I open sourced it so others can go their own way when they get tired of waiting on me. It isn't as easy to fork as Rostock style printers but I hope some do.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Rasputin73 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:12 pm

Really glad to hear responses, particularly from Nicholas! I remember how much the design of the current GUS geometry was discussed on the Reprap forums. Care to share any tasty details on GUS V2 with us?

See3D makes a good point about the slow pace of iterative improvement and refinement. Slow is fine. Slow is perhaps good just as long as things aren't stalled out.

Frankly, I'm just a lurker here. I get excited about every little detail and discussion. I live vicariously through all your builds. Clearly there wont be monumental changes for now, but I want to hear it all anyway. :D

So I guess my 2 cents is that the best way to keep a community engaged is to keep everyone sharing their progress. Plus, it provides more opportunity for me to lurk. :lol:
Rasputin73

Postby timrwilliams » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:50 pm

@Rasputin73 - Its encouraging to know others are interested in what goes on. I was a lurker too in the past, so you never know?

I have added some observations to 'Another UK build' thread. Nothing earth shattering, just some practical work-in-progress points.
So GUS Mk1 has a life.

Regards
timrwilliams

Postby Rasputin73 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:28 pm

So maybe a checklist of improvements/refinements is needed?

Off the top of my head, here's what I see:
  • Auto bed leveling probe - looks like @timrwilliams is making progress in this thread.
  • It would also be nice to see a probe mount integrated into the hub files once there is some consensus on the design.
  • Dimensionality - again @timrwilliams has a 2% dimensional accuracy now, anyone getting better than that? What is going to be needed for 'reliable' self replication?
  • Unattended printing - @timrwilliams (again) is having decent luck with this right now. Anyone else?
  • Kinematics in firmware - @niggle is working on this here and here, and @machinofacture was testing a variant of it in Marlin. Sounds like this might also make the auto bed leveling easier since Marlin already has code for that.
  • Physical Geometry - This is where Nicholas really excels. Are there major design improvements still in GUS V1 to be had, or is focusing on GUS V2 a better plan? What's the focus or goals of GUS V2? Print-ability, materials usage (plastics), reducing vitamins, bug-fixes (problem areas in geometry)? What can you share with us Nicholas? We want to help! Maybe you could make a GUS V2 thread for discussion of it, or a whole other category under 'printers' for working on it.

What other categories/design goals would everyone add?

Also, a quick question for Nicholas. Have you considered enlarging the diameter of the hub to allow the hot end to sit higher inside it. I'm aware it would probably require venting, but would't that provide a taller build envelope? With it recessed, and side venting on the hub, couldn't we mount a fan on the top of the hub pointing downward? It might be problematic to making various hot ends work in a recessed pocket, but would the benefits be worth it? Just an idea.

I hope I don't seem pushy (just enthusiastic), but my strength is in Project Management so I mostly focus on defining goals and dependencies, tracking progress, and organizing teams.
Rasputin73

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 pm

I posted a starter topic for v2.

I will leave most of the discussion for the other thread but I did want to talk about moving the hot end up. Yes, you can move the hot end up and increase the build volume by A LOT. You also get closer to the singularity (when the hub and should joints are in one plane). You want to keep a healthy distance from the singularity or you will get horrible repeatability. Off the top of my head, I think I designed that to be about 40mm. However, raising the hot end will allow the shoulders to shrink down. I think everyone will be happy if the shoulders can be smaller. However, however, you have to look at how the arms might pierce the target build volume. Tricky, tricky. (I have some skeleton of the model that lets me play with all the parameters so be sure that I will optimize them to fit the target volume.)
Nicholas Seward

Return to GUS Simpson