My Simpson Build

My Simpson Build

Postby machinofacture » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:03 am

Hey guys,

I present my Simpson build!! Made of ABS and with an aluminum extrusion-based triangular base!

Not yet wired up, but will be hopefully soon.

You can see his mother in the background :)

Any ideas for a name? I can't think of one at the moment, but I just had to post the pic.

machinofacture

Re: My Simpson Build

Postby zxcv555578 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:57 am

machinofacture wrote:Hey guys,

I present my Simpson build!! Made of ABS and with an aluminum extrusion-based triangular base!

Not yet wired up, but will be hopefully soon.

You can see his mother in the background :)

Any ideas for a name? I can't think of one at the moment, but I just had to post the pic.

Great!!!
But my GUS is not working :(
zxcv555578

Postby see3d » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:16 pm

That is a mighty fine looking machine. 5 stars.
How about SuperGUS ;)
see3d

Postby timrwilliams » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:30 pm

That IS a good looking design, rather like the Kossel base - Gossel ? Gussel ?
What are you going to print on.
I am still printing on a cheap granite chopping board. The large mass does seem to give rigidity to the setup,
but I haven't worked out how to add a heated bed (if I do at all)
timrwilliams

Postby machinofacture » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks! I think I will call him Gussel :)

I will probably end up putting an aluminum sheet on top of those extrusions for printing.

I've had great success using wire-wound power resistors JB-welded to the underside of aluminum sheets for a heated bed. I just attach them to mains and use a solid state relay to control.

The challenge now is, how to fit all the electronics into that triangular space. Already my melzi board doesn't fit in there...
machinofacture

Postby Feign » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Quite professional, I like it. Though the printer's goal was to not use really specialized materials, using them anyway sure does look good on it.
Feign

Postby see3d » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Feign wrote:Though the printer's goal was to not use really specialized materials.

I don't think that a metal bar is that specialized. It could be made from aluminum or steel angles or hollow square tubes, or for that matter just replace the top and bottom aluminum extrusions with 3 plywood side boards around the outside. The basic idea of doing a frame rather than a plate can have a lot of DIY alternatives without buying specialized parts. I like it too.
see3d

Postby machinofacture » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:51 pm

The problem with the current printer design is it requires two precision cut triangular plates, which is pretty hard to do by hand. Some people have said they can do it with laser cutting or water jet cutting, which is antithetical to the premise of a reprap in my opinion.

Aluminum extrusions can be cut with a hacksaw, and you can get the exact right triangular shape just by sliding the extrusions in and out before fixing them in place.

In the future it would be better to replace the extrusions with something you can actually get at the hardware store. Maybe some U-shaped aluminum framing could serve the same purpose. I know I have seen those for sale at the hardware store.

You could probably print a part to go in there as well. I did not feel like doing so because I had already spent a whole week printing all the arms and stuff, and I already had these extrusions on hand :)
machinofacture

Postby Niggle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Why do you think that you need precision cut triangular plates, and why two of them?

I grant that it might look nicer, but I believe that the machine would work happily with imprecise hexagons mounted on the rails.

Another choice is to look for a spring-form cake tin with a tempered glass base, on Ebay. A 8" or 9" tin should be less than $20. Throw the tin away and glue your heating coils to the glass and you have a cheap heated bed. Use clips to mount it to the top rails and you are done.

Fundamentally, the top of the base looks like a Kossel and so you can use their designs for a bed.
Niggle

Postby Nicholas Seward » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:30 am

It is a very simple matter to drill 3 equidistant holes in a plate. (Use a compass for layout.) You can do both plates at the same time. (Screw them together.) Everthing besides the holes doesn't need to be accurate.
Nicholas Seward

Next

Return to GUS Simpson