Boston, MA USA Build Log

Re: Boston, MA USA Build Log

Postby timrwilliams » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:55 pm

@imrahil 'so I have a habit to leave GUS in 0,0,0 position after use'

Thats good practice, the problem is I often forget!
I have programmed a Pronterface software button 'Home' to bypass MY memory!
I notice that the version of 'Segmentize' I have inserts the negative coordinate patch as a header, so I have kept 'min_software_endstops' as 'false'.
I have a LCD/SD connected and can print from SD card, but I really don't rely on encoder/coordinate values.

@GrahamHolt - Does Pronterface throw up any ERROR messages. Its usually quite good at picking up temperature problems.
Can you run mcode to test the endstop switch status (M119) and other variables?

Regards
timrwilliams

Postby GrahamHolt » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:15 pm

M119 and it says they are all triggered, I guess I need to invert the logic...though when I trigger one of the endstops it still says triggered. This will wait until monday.

Thanks,
Graham
GrahamHolt

Postby GrahamHolt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:58 pm

OK, I've got some movement!

I used the repetier firmware settings and I get a good connection to the printer. The hot end heats and motors actually respond. They don't do what I expect of them, but they move. I can only get them to contract the arms, but not extend them.

I try clicking the home buttons in Pronterface, and the arms just contract a bit and don't extend towards the limit switch. Any thoughts here?

I may be misunderstanding the homing process, but I thought it was to find the max position for each of the arms, i.e.: fully extended. Is that not what I'm supposed to do?

I am new to this if you hadn't noticed. This was supposed to be my second printer, but the first one (a kickstarter project) still isn't here.

Thanks,
Graham
GrahamHolt

Postby timrwilliams » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:53 pm

I havn't used Repetier, but the movement you describe sounds as if its reading the way you have the limit switches wired and configured as 'triggered', so it will not allow movement in extension, only in contraction which would untrigger them.
Homing as I understand and have it operating in Marlin, is as you describe, fully extending the arms to define 0,0,0. Calibration points are then all positive.
It sounds as if you are getting there.

Which Kickstarter project are you expecting.

Regards
timrwilliams

Postby GrahamHolt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:25 pm

timrwilliams- Thank you so much. You hit the nail on the head there with the inversion of the switches. I had also been thinking that fully extended would be hitting the max end stop and not the min end stop. After fixing those two things, I can get the arms to contract and extend! Now I need to find someone with a set of large calipers or figure out another way to accurately measure the length of the bolt to bolt distance when extended.

I'm waiting on the QU-BD Two-Up. I definitely wouldn't have backed the project had I looked into the company a little more than I did. My reward is over 5 months past the schedule, which is fine. The bad thing is the constant terrible communication and deceit. This company doesn't understand the concept of honesty in communicating with their customers.

I've also backed the Cobblebot (December backer), which, at the rate that QU-BD is going, may arrive first.
GrahamHolt

Postby timrwilliams » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:17 pm

Good news!. I thought you sounded pretty close to a result.

A set of 300mm digital calipers is useful, especially if you want to check spool eccentricity. But practically that IS what it IS after stringing. You can get a reasonable two point calibration by eye with a good quality steel rule. Thats what I used to start. So don't let that hold you up.

I too am expecting a UK Kickstarter kit - a Deltatrix.
After GUS you will probably find the Kickstarter projects fairly tame!

Regards
timrwilliams

Postby GrahamHolt » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:35 pm

The Deltatrix looks like a robust/workhorse machine. Even better, this group seems to know how to run a Kickstarter campaign. Hopefully you'll be getting your printer soon.

I do have a set of 150mm digital calipers, so I'll be able to check my spools. I'll use the steel rule for now, but I'm fairly certain that someone around has a set of calipers I can use. I just need to find that person.
GrahamHolt

Postby GrahamHolt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:31 pm

I finally got my QU-BD TwoUp, so lunch was spent checking that the thousand little parts arrived OK.

I'm still working on calculating the steps/mm, but I think I'll get it on the next time around. Peeking ahead at Segmentize, I'm wondering how I'll get along with that since I'm just barely dipping my toe into the programming pool now.

No new progress on GUS until next week.
GrahamHolt

Postby GrahamHolt » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:12 pm

It's been a while without an update. My QU-BD 2-Up finally got up and running when the PrintrBoard developed a fault with one of the stepper drivers. I discovered that there was a problem with the fan pin as well, so that's on the way back for replacement. This meant that I've had to take my RAMPS setup from GUS to get that machine going again. The good news is that I can print things, but it's going to be a while before I get the PrintrBoard back or get a new RAMPS setup.

On the plus side, I'm much more familiar with RAMPS and I'm liking it a lot. Hopefully things will go smoothly with segmentation once I get another board. It's looking like that won't happen until the new year though.

On a related note, I show people my Cartesian printer and then GUS, they find a non-functioning GUS way more intriguing. I also met a 3D printing enthusiast at a hack-a-thon, and I think he may be joining the forum someday soon.
GrahamHolt

Postby timrwilliams » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:19 pm

I don't seem to have made much GUS related progress recently, sidetracked by some MicroChip PIC electronics.

I did have GUS printing this week to demonstrate to some non-technical in-laws who were impressed but bemused, and I have promised a Christmas demo to a ten year old great-nephew who, if past experience is anything to go by, will understand the mechanism perfectly.!

Regards to all.
timrwilliams

PreviousNext

Return to GUS Simpson