Boston, MA USA Build Log

Boston, MA USA Build Log

Postby GrahamHolt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:55 pm

I've been lurking for a while now, but I've decided to make my intentions public. I am working towards building a GUS Simpson. You guys seem like a good group, and I'm pleased to join you.

About me, let's see, I work in a research lab that studies the brains of children as the develop. There aren't a lot of off the shelf solutions for this sort of work, so I provide creative solutions for creative problems. I grew up on a diet of McGuyver and the A-Team, took things apart and that sort of thing.

So far I'm in the part gathering stage, with bearings, RAMPS, and some optical switches in hand. More parts are on order.
Attachments
BearingsBoardsSwitches.JPG
Initial Parts- Bearings, Boards, Optical Switches
BearingsBoardsSwitches.JPG (544.55 KiB) Viewed 66808 times
Last edited by GrahamHolt on Thu May 08, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrahamHolt

Re: Boston, MA Build Log

Postby timrwilliams » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Welcome-
Yes it is a great forum. I am a retired UK medic and got lured in like you.
It looks like you have made a good start, you can have fun loading the firmware. I got GUS working with Sprinter, but I wouldn't reccomend it, I am in the middle of switching to Marlin. There are other options.
Hope it goes well.
timrwilliams

Re: Boston, MA USA Build Log

Postby GrahamHolt » Fri May 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Thank you for the welcome Tim. It is certainly reassuring knowing that there are others working on the same thing and I hope to be able to contribute something to the effort.

It's been a bit slow here lately, but I've been busy collecting parts. Here is a picture of: an order of hardware from Fastenal, push in connectors, guitar tuners, power supply, 9" mirror build plate, PLA and fishing line.

I've got the two plates and a bunch of electronics to go, but I'm making good progress. I did place an order for the stepper drivers, so I should be able to start playing around with a salvaged stepper motor soon.

GrahamHolt

Postby Niggle » Sun May 11, 2014 4:54 am

Welcome Graham and I hope you have fun with your build.

Mounting the optical switches could be a challenge. There is barely room for the microswitches, but I'm sure you'll find a way.

The pushfits will be even more of a challenge. Take a look at the exploded diagram of the hub. Look closely at the hub screw. The Bowden tube fits inside the screw. An M4 nut is screwed onto the end of the tube and then fits into the nut trap in the end of the hub screw. The hub screw is threaded into the hub bottom until it makes contact with the top of the hop end. There really isn't anywhere in there to put a push fit.

The filament drive end of the tube depends on what you use for a filament drive. Nicholas' design uses another nut trap but a pushfit might be useful if you pick some other filament drive for your build.
Niggle

Postby NeoTheFox » Sun May 11, 2014 12:58 pm

There really isn't anywhere in there to put a push fit.

Nope, there is. All you have to do is buy M5 pushfits and make hole on the top hub nut bigger. This way instead of screwing a tibe to the nut you'll screw a pushfit. Imrahil have already done it
NeoTheFox

Postby GrahamHolt » Sun May 11, 2014 11:48 pm

@Niggle Thanks for the welcome. I haven't decided upon the filament drive yet, but utilizing a design that uses the push fit connectors is not off the table for me.

I wasn't sure about the optical switches, but I had them on-hand so I had hoped to use them. If I can't get them to work, I've got a set of salvaged mechanical switches that I can use. The first printer I'm building is more of a wide open design that can use the optical switches without a problem, so they can always go in there. While I've taken a look at the exploded view, I still have some mental connections to make. Once I have all the parts in front of me, I hope that it will make more sense to me.

@NeoTheFox That's reassuring, thank you for that information. It's nice to know that I'm not crazy in wanting to try this.
GrahamHolt

Postby Niggle » Mon May 12, 2014 2:04 am

Sorry, I hadn't paid enough attention to Imrahil's build photo's.
Niggle

Postby GrahamHolt » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Acquisition of parts continues slowly. So far I have everything except the stepper motors, hot end and Bowden tube. These items I can source from QU-BD, but more money going to them is pending the fulfillment of a kickstarter pledge. I really can't print the GUS components until after that point, so the order won't hold up my build.

I have the build plates cut, and I've sealed the edges, but I need to seal the flat surfaces, prepare for painting, prime and paint. I'm using plain old 1/2" MDF, so the sealing and painting will be important.
GrahamHolt

Postby SimianSteam » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Ah, so you got caught up in the OneUp/TwoUp mess too, huh? I ended up cancelling mine and ordering the parts to build a Prusa i3 Rework. Twice as much, but much bigger build area. Still haven't received the promised refund. Terrible company. I really wish there was somewhere else to source the parts for a GUS from, because I want to build one of these next. I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy them from QU-BD anyways.

Looking forward to following your build progress!
SimianSteam

Postby Nicholas Seward » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:50 pm

I am going to remove all the links to QUBD in the BOM. What parts are you having trouble sourcing elsewhere? I can probably give you a suggestion or two.
Nicholas Seward

Next

Return to GUS Simpson