GUS Assembly Instructions

GUS Assembly Instructions

Postby JamesWhite » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:20 am

Hello everyone,

I have been ogling over the GUS for months now and read up on reprap.org, but just today discovered this forum. I am interested in printing one in the future, but for now I only have access to a printrbot simple.

I noticed that there is a 'bounty' on assembly instructions for the GUS. I am an experienced Drafter, and I just might have the skills in need. I put together assembly drawings for a living, but really it would be an honor to make some for this awesome project. I might be interested in taking this on if I can get some more specifics as to what is required or at least more of a ballpark of what you are looking for. I would be able to put together assembly drawings/instructions, but I would need some input and guidance too.

-James
JamesWhite

Re: GUS Assembly Instructions

Postby MrFaul » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:50 am

For starters there should be a GIT repo somewhere from Nicolas with all STL files.
Should be straight forward to import those into your software.
MrFaul

Postby JamesWhite » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:52 pm

I found the repository, and it appears there are inventor files as well as the stl. I use AutoCAD myself, and I'll have to check if I can open inventor files in AutoCAD, but I think it can. I would much rather work with solids than meshes.

I know there is approx. a $150 bounty on the job but really I am not too interested in the cash. I would love to have some printed parts for a GUS though. The bits too large to print on my 100X100 PB simple. But in reality, I would take this job on for free...
JamesWhite

Postby Niggle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Somewhere, there is a link to InventorView, a free download that will let you look at the Inventor files, especially the sub-assemblies. InventorView lets you highlight the component objects so that you can see what piece goes where. There are some details that show up that you can't see in the exploded drawings.

If you do this, please include the filament drive, and also tie the instructions to the BOM.
Niggle

Postby tommythorn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:25 am

I like what a volunteer did for QU-BD's Two Up: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2876dpitutpcbxy/QU-BD%20OneUp%20and%20TwoUp%20Assembly%20Instructions.pdf (from http://www.fabric8r.com/forums/showthread.php?1247-Assembly-videos-and-other-resources), but in addition to assembly instructions, tips and pitfalls would welcome. Once concern is that GUS is still evolving, so something like that would be harder for all to contribute to directly, unlike a Wiki or similar.
tommythorn

Postby Niggle » Fri May 09, 2014 10:25 pm

I'm currently writing a Word document to describe my assembly process. It needs to include photos (or links to photos) to be useful.

However, I've started on an 'Initial Calibration' section that is going slowly because calibrating my build isn't going well. So, I am asking for opinions on what to do next.
1. Add photos,
2. Document calibration as I work through my problems,
3. Share what I have so you can try to make sense of words without pictures
4. Something completely different
Niggle

Postby GrahamHolt » Sun May 11, 2014 12:58 pm

I'd vote for sharing what you have to see if we can follow it, and make suggestions if needed.

Next I'd be interested in calibration instructions.

With regards to photos, I think that tbcarlson's son was working on taking some pictures for the assembly instructions, so contacting him to see what he has might save some time here.
GrahamHolt

Postby NeoTheFox » Sun May 11, 2014 1:06 pm

GrahamHolt wrote:I'd vote for sharing what you have to see if we can follow it, and make suggestions if needed.

Next I'd be interested in calibration instructions.

With regards to photos, I think that tbcarlson's son was working on taking some pictures for the assembly instructions, so contacting him to see what he has might save some time here.

How about we make it using wiki? I'll start :)

UPDATE:
Just finished BOM, but still some photos needed. Assembly coming up, any help would be nice

UPDATE 2:
Ok, I've done 3 pages total:
BOM, Assembly, Electronics.
Now we need more photos and a native english speaker to check it out.
NeoTheFox

Postby Niggle » Mon May 12, 2014 2:16 am

Neo, I'll get back to you in a few days. I want to compare your BOM with mine as I think that you left out the filament drive. My instructions have lots more words to cover all the things you can't see in Imrahil's diagrams.

For right now, you have a photo of the original hub bottom.
Niggle

Postby GrahamHolt » Mon May 12, 2014 1:00 pm

NeoTheFox wrote:
How about we make it using wiki? I'll start :)

That's a great idea. I'll see what I can do to make improvements as I am a native English speaker.
GrahamHolt

Next

Return to GUS Simpson