cheapest 3D printer?

If you have a question or a comment that doesn't fit anywhere then start a topic here. As we get this forum up and running we will be adding more categories and liberally moving topics to the appropriate place.

Re: cheapest 3D printer?

Postby tommythorn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:33 am

FWIW, clearly the Rotational Position Sensor to get is this one, AMS AS5132. Digikey have them for $6.3 (less in volume): http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AS5132-HSSM/AS5132-HSSMCT-ND/3586463. Highlights 14 bits precision over SPI/I2C. Just attach a magnet to the rotating part and precisely position the AS5132 below.

It occurred to me that Nicholas may have intended to forgo the gearbox entirely and get the mechanical advantage with printed parts, for example using pulleys and strings. That would change things significantly.
tommythorn

Postby see3d » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:12 am

That is quite an interesting little part. A 1 degree resolution angular detector. 360 "steps" per revolution. Better than a 1.8 degree stepper, but of course, no micro-stepping. It would need a 16:1 ratio on top of the the other ratio being used with a stepper to get the same resolution if it was directly substituted for a stepper.
see3d

Postby tommythorn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:14 am

Ooops. Sorry, I linked to the wrong part. Unfortunately this is twice as expensive, but more useful.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AS5048B-HTSP-500/AS5048B-HTSP-500CT-ND/3188619. This has the 14-bit resolution I claimed. There might be alternatives I'm missing.

However the cost proposition becomes dubious. An acceptable NEMA 17 stepper can be had for $12 and an Allegro stepper driver for about $3, both on eBay.
tommythorn

Postby phonx » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:54 am

Wow I just started the same conversations on reprap forum - obviously there is a common interest to drive the price down further and there are so many ready throw away printers that we could savage and if there is a opensource solution like rerrap based 3d printer to the problems. I think we could save many thrown away inkjet, laser and office combo printers that clutter the landfills around the world. The printers enclosure are mainly made up of either pc/abs, abs, and other recyclable plastics so they could also be turned into filament too??? :twisted: 8-) :mrgreen: :geek:

Let's get start - open source way
phonx

Postby Jeramy1Patraw » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:04 am

If you need any information about the frequency meter,then you can come to have a look at it. It can be your optimal choice for you .
Jeramy1Patraw

Postby Dpharris » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:28 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned (I may have missed it) the $100 Peachy Printer: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... escription

This uses light-sensitive resin which floats on a slowly rising layer of water, and is set by a laser-beam which is targeted with an x-y hinged mirror arrangement that is driven from stereo audio output from a PC.

As usual the punters are restless as the team works through the problems. The mirror arrangement is improving with voice-coil drive on properly hinged front-reflection mirrors, and how to implement gaps in the laser-beam.

Regards,
David
Dpharris

Postby tommythorn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:18 pm

I think the implied constraint was RepRap, which I don't see Peachy ever attaining.
tommythorn

Postby Feign » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:50 pm

tommythorn wrote:I think the implied constraint was RepRap, which I don't see Peachy ever attaining.

As much as I love the Peachy and eagerly await mine in the mail, I have to agree. Even in the newest update, they admit themselves that the prints have somewhere between 2 and 5 percent skew in the x-y axis and occasionally get up to 20% deformation in the z-axis unpredictably. Apparently the good news is that even with that kind of inaccuracy, the prints no longer have holes, and don't fail even with the unpredictable z-axis.

Basically, it's a printer for art, not for function.
Feign

Previous

Return to General