FILAMENT DRIVE!

If you have a question or a comment that doesn't fit anywhere then start a topic here. As we get this forum up and running we will be adding more categories and liberally moving topics to the appropriate place.

FILAMENT DRIVE!

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:04 pm

I will be uploading some pictures but I just committed a simple direct filament drive to github that uses a MK7 or similar hobbed pulley. I added mounts for Wally, LISA, and GUS.

Filament Drive

I included mirror version of the BLOCK and the ARM. This is so you can mount it the way that you want. Wally requires the mirror version.

There are some pictures in this thread.
Nicholas Seward

Re: FILAMENT DRIVE!

Postby tommythorn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:45 pm

I searched, but couldn't find; I recall a discussion about the rounding of the latch mechanism. I have that problem: my socket heads tends to pop out of the holes. Was there a fix or workaround? (I'm trying out an E3D with Bowden drive on my Two Up: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:308597 - it has proven quite challenging).
tommythorn

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 pm

@tommythorn: I haven't fixed it. I have had a few ahas about how to redesign it but no time. I think I don't get any time to myself for another month. (Then it is summer and I get to play!)

The two main things I want to change are...
1) Allow each end of the bowden tube to have a quick release. (I am going to move from using one M4 nut to using two on each end. I am also going to have a place to put a bearing for designs like Wally that have a rotating head. I will make an H style housing to fit around all that so I can operate it with one hand. I know this makes no sense after reading it.)
2)I will make the extruder body closeable with one hand. (I have a few ideas. I am not quite satisfied with what I have in my mind so I will keep thinking on it.)
Nicholas Seward

Postby NeoTheFox » Fri May 02, 2014 3:42 pm

I believe a good thing you can adopt from another extruders is shaft bearing at the top. It sure is useful addition, because it removes angular load from the shaft. I have a geared stepper on this extruder, and the gearbox shaft is a good example how angular load may f-up the extruder.

This is my setup right now:

I am in a process of building another 2 printers right now, one of them I compiled myself also have a bowden extruder, and I am using the same gearbox, the bearing have tendency to improve infill and perimeters quality drastically.

Here is how it looks like:

Sure when you have no gearbox you may not see drastic improvements, but is is right thing to do, since it essentially lowers the load on the shaft, also you may just ignore this bearing if you feel like you don’t need it.
NeoTheFox

Postby Nicholas Seward » Fri May 02, 2014 5:50 pm

I don't think I would be able to tell the difference with just the stepper shaft. However, this is an easy thing to add and as you mentioned the bearing can be left out. I should be incrementing my filament drive in a month or two and I will be sure to include the bearing seat.
Nicholas Seward

Postby GrahamHolt » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:49 pm

tommythorn wrote:I searched, but couldn't find; I recall a discussion about the rounding of the latch mechanism. I have that problem: my socket heads tends to pop out of the holes.

The m3 screws that I'm using were giving me the same problem. I removed the two M3s and took a lighter to the end of each one. I used the heated screw head to create a slight indentation in the drive block so that there was a place for each screw to rest securely. Definitely practice on a piece of scrap but this worked for me.

My filament drive is now held securely together, and everything is moving through smoothly.
GrahamHolt

Return to General