Planning on building a CoreXZ

If you have a question or a comment that doesn't fit anywhere then start a topic here. As we get this forum up and running we will be adding more categories and liberally moving topics to the appropriate place.

Planning on building a CoreXZ

Postby cdegroot » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi,

I am in the planning and material gathering phase of building a CoreXZ based on Nicholas' design here https://github.com/NicholasSeward/ConceptFORGE.

There seems to be three versions of the design I have seen photos/videos/details of on the web, an early one with a direct drive extruder and XZ bearings on the inside, a second one with a bowden extruder and XZ bearings on the rear outer sider, and then these Inventor Fusion design files in GitHub which are a modification of this last option.

So my questions at this point are:
1. What do you recommend I base my design on? The design on Github seems mostly like the second design I see photos/videos on, but the Y axis bearings are not represented and the motor and tuner key locations have changed a lot.
2. Are there any other build blogs from others building this printer?
3. What improvements do you have in mind currently that I may want to consider?

Many thanks Chris.
cdegroot

Re: Planning on building a CoreXZ

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:13 pm

https://github.com/NicholasSeward/ConceptFORGE/tree/NEW_CoreXZ/CoreXZ

I would suggest a version of this one. It is a slight modification on this one.

I haven't merged this branch yet because I haven't built my second proto to make sure everything is in the right place. I have the laser cut pieces in my lab waiting for me to put them together.

The advantage is the 3:1 reduction in the z direction. This has a three fold benefit. 1) the z resolution is 3 times better. 2)Leveling isn't as sensitive. 3) The gantry doesn't fall when the power is cut.

I have seen a few recent CoreXZs that are using belts and go with the simple 1:1 ratio. It all depends on your goals.

Note: I ditched the bowden because I have 2 motors pushing the effector back in forth in the x direction. The one y motor has to move about the same mass in the y direction but with a 2:1 reduction. This arrangement makes for pretty balanced speed and acceleration settings for both directions. If you go with a bowden, all that extra x speed will be wasted on the slower y.
Nicholas Seward

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:58 pm

What's the difference between the layout and layout overkill dxf files?

Our local makerspace is finally online, so I can start playing with the lasercutter as soon as I get signed off for the safety class! :)
cdsteinkuehler

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:32 pm

cdsteinkuehler wrote:What's the difference between the layout and layout overkill dxf files?

Our local makerspace is finally online, so I can start playing with the lasercutter as soon as I get signed off for the safety class! :)

Layout has separate polylines for each shape so an decent CAD program can move profiles as a unit.

The overkill version has removed any line segment that is on top of another. (Kill lines that are over the bottom lines.) This is a typical step before you send it to the cutter. When you layout you parts you might want to save material by having them share an edge. That edge doesn't need to be cut twice.

Note: I can't stress enough that this is unverified.
Nicholas Seward

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:14 pm

So I FINALLY got my parts laser cut! My flat stock wasn't completely flat, but it seemed to cut OK (and a 4x8 sheet is enough for an entire second set of parts if needed).

I'm guessing there's nothing like a build log or instructions or BOM other than the inventor files, right?

If that's the case, I'll try to take photos as I go to document the build. My goal is to get the machine running by MRRF which is coming up fast!
cdsteinkuehler

Return to General