Ah, *THAT* was what was coming

If you have a question or a comment that doesn't fit anywhere then start a topic here. As we get this forum up and running we will be adding more categories and liberally moving topics to the appropriate place.

Re: Ah, *THAT* was what was coming

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:36 pm

[*]I need to make access slots so I can easily tighten the spools.
[*]I can't access the Y stepper mount screws so I will have to make some access holes under the heater pad.
[*]The spools are a little big if you really care about fine details.
[*]I need to add a second tuner on the other side of the effector for gantry tilt adjustment.
[*]The lip that has the Y bearings is poorly supported and has much flex. I am going to move the z rails and the y bearings back so they are perfectly supported.
[*]The last issue requires some major rework of the laser cut pieces so I will try to decrease the overall width and height of the printer. I want to fit everything on 16"x24" boards. (My school is getting a laser of those dimensions.)
[*]The gantry board needs a big access hole in it so I can get to the back of the effector to string and tighten screws.
[*]I need to fix the bowden tube so it can be removed. I had to melt a nut connected to the tube into the effector. (It was a quick and effective way for me to get it up and running for the MRRF. However, it isn't a good solution.)
[*]I need to better support the bowden tube at the pusher side. (This is true for all my printers.)
[*]I want a better carrying handle
[*]I will have to move the spool to the outside and want to make a fold down holder.

There is probably more. This is just what is on the top of my head. I would classify most issues as minor issues.
Nicholas Seward

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:57 pm

Sounds like everything but the bearing support is pretty minor, but it's probably worth waiting for new design files. I'll see if I can't get the vitamins I'm missing headed this way, it looks like a fun build!
cdsteinkuehler

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Oh, I forgot that say that the gantry falls at the end of a print and after a power failure. (That is a major issue.) I am going to solve this with a laser cut piece with a sawtooth profile that has gravity lightly pressing it against the gantry board. To lower you just swing the board away.

The flex from the lip for the y-bearings is actually not really an issue after testing but I want the design above reproach. :-)
Nicholas Seward

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Nicholas Seward wrote:Oh, I forgot that say that the gantry falls at the end of a print and after a power failure. (That is a major issue.) I am going to solve this with a laser cut piece with a sawtooth profile that has gravity lightly pressing it against the gantry board. To lower you just swing the board away.

Or park the gantry at the top after a print and hold it there with magnets.
cdsteinkuehler

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 pm

cdsteinkuehler wrote:Or park the gantry at the top after a print and hold it there with magnets.

...or a ledge/hook at an upper corner of the travel range.
cdsteinkuehler

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Don't forget about the loss of power situation. Last time the hot end buried itself in the part and the part cooled around the hot end. It was very hard to remove.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Matt Michalka » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:43 am

That bearing issue sounded like the only one that wasn't minor, but you quelled my fears about that. The rest seem like they can be solved by drilling/cutting later. Worst case scenario is re-milling a new sheet of mdf. At $15, I'm not really worried. I already put together a BoM and I'll email it to you later tonight to verify it's everything I'll need. The sooner the dxf is up, the sooner I can help you solve these problems. Also, you should probably start a forum for the CoreXZ instead of continuing it in the General forum.
Matt Michalka

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:13 am

Agreed.

BTW, I am using .255" thick (.25" with a coating) flatstock. You will have to modify to deal with other flatstock.
Nicholas Seward

DC motor CoreXZ

Postby tommythorn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:17 am

Bringing back on old topic, I wonder if looping the fishing line around the axis of an encoder could be made accurate enough to replace the steppers with geared DC motors? It would require some form of reduction to allow for a coarse cheap encoder.
tommythorn

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Nicholas Seward wrote:BTW, I am using .255" thick (.25" with a coating) flatstock. You will have to modify to deal with other flatstock.

What exactly are you using for the flatstock material? Also, do you have rough dimensions (max. X/Y size of the uncut stock)? I'm trying to figure out if it will fit/cut on our (low-power) office laser-cutter or if I can maybe cut the pieces on a mill. I've got the vitamins heading this way, so hopefully a Beta version of the panel DXFs will be coming soon? :)
cdsteinkuehler

PreviousNext

Return to General