Catweazle Mini - Tiny/cheap ARM Cortex

If you have a question or a comment that doesn't fit anywhere then start a topic here. As we get this forum up and running we will be adding more categories and liberally moving topics to the appropriate place.

Catweazle Mini - Tiny/cheap ARM Cortex

Postby Jason Fisher » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:30 am

Found on hackaday..

http://www.hackster.io/janost/catweazle-mini

The specs look interesting. This could certainly handle inverse kinematics?
Jason Fisher

Re: Catweazle Mini - Tiny/cheap ARM Cortex

Postby NeoTheFox » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:27 am

Nothing really new here, it is just a breakout for microcontroller. It is still going to need MOSFET to control bed\extruder and drivers for steppers. Also 16K of flash means you can hardly falsh a decent firmware too.

16GPIO is a bad thing also (8 in this version is npt enouth anyway). For 4 motors you need 8 pins + 2 pins for bed\extruder + 2 for thermistors + 3 for endstops. So even if you would use something like teacup (and I am not sure if even teacup would fit 16k) you are left with just 3 GPIO, so no screen for you, unless it would be i2c.

The lack of UART<->USB limits you to RS232(COM-port) usage, or you are going to need additional hardware, like USB<->UART adapter.
NeoTheFox

Postby Dpharris » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:11 pm

The Teensy 3.1 is pretty sweet for its price <$20.
Dpharris

Postby Jason Fisher » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:27 pm

I was thinking that this would be slaved to the existing boards as a preprocessor/stream filter that transforms gcode and passes it on to the legacy environment.

A generational approach that allows people to reuse their old electronics and gives developers an opportunity to experiment with some headroom.

i.e. real-time feedback processing could be done as a stream filter in the DSP.

Later on, the legacy environment can be upgraded and the existing stream filters would continue to function.
Jason Fisher

Postby Jason Fisher » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:35 pm

You could probably work it into the SD card interface to make it seamless.

The ARM would emulate an SD card filesystem, and act as a pass-through for the real SD slot. File I/O access to that filesystem would route through the DSP and return a filesystem to Marlin that is transparent -- Marlin thinks it is just reading a normal GCode file through sdcardlib and everything else happens normally.
Jason Fisher

Return to General