Solder-bot

If you have a question or a comment that doesn't fit anywhere then start a topic here. As we get this forum up and running we will be adding more categories and liberally moving topics to the appropriate place.

Solder-bot

Postby ChrisK » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:39 am

Considering the strong similarities between a soldering bot and a 3-d printer
does anyone know of any attempts to solder boards with a 3d printer? Either with solder or with conductive filament.
I guess it would be an important step in self replication, driving down the cost of the electronics a bit and also great for being able to publish electrical and mechanical projects as a download.
ChrisK

Re: Solder-bot

Postby NeoTheFox » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:39 pm

There is a way to make PCB with 3D printer, but it is not exactly like regualr one.
Here it is. I also think we should use not a conductive paint, but Wood's metal, because its melting temp is 70 deg., while PLA melts at 150-160deg.
NeoTheFox

Postby ChrisK » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:33 pm

I was thinking soldering the components onto and possibly even drilling standard pre-etched boards but that is pretty cool
ChrisK

Postby Guizmo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Wow. I've never seen those. They are very similar to a cartesian printer. I bet they could be easily transformed onto a 3d printer.
Guizmo

Return to General