Single linear rail polar printer concept

Single linear rail polar printer concept

Postby FMPrime » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:48 am

I'm back with another paint sketch!
This design takes inspiration from the reprap tuga (Scott-Russell linkage) and various polar printers.
single linear rail design.png
single linear rail design.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 41107 times

The two grey carriages move up and down a single linear rail. The height of the end effector is equal to the height of the lower carriage. The forward travel of the end effector is equal to the distance between the two carriages.The yellow box shows the build area. The blue and violet arms form a parallelogram. The orange arm is not strictly necessary.

The polar axis is not illustrated here. A turntable can be added to the build area, or the whole tower can be made to rotate similar to a scara arm.

As far as low parts counts go, I think this may be a winner.
FMPrime

Re: Single linear rail polar printer concept

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:28 am

Love it. In fact, to cancel are the torsion on your pylon you could make this a duplicator printer. You could have some number of arms arrayed radially around the pylon.

Also you could switch the top 2 bar for more bars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyFk4B26dDk

That will compress the z.
Nicholas Seward

Postby FMPrime » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:43 am

A scissor-lift mechanism is a great way to increase build area! (proportionally)
single linear rail design 2.png
single linear rail design 2.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 41102 times

Also, perhaps instead of a single rail, two lead screws can be used in similar fashion to your Ecstock concept.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a duplicator type printer. Searching comes up with cheap Cartesian printers.

Adding radial arms sounds more like a delta bot to me, though I can imagine something in between that would eliminate the polar platform.
FMPrime

Postby FMPrime » Thu May 11, 2017 5:48 am

By duplicator you mean multiple print heads? That'd be great for printer farms.
single linear rail design 3.png
single linear rail design 3.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 17894 times

The rail length is similar to delta printers.
Here: rail length = build height + build width + carriage height + print head height.
Delta: printer height = build height + diameter of build platform + carriage height + print head height.

...I wonder if delta printers could somehow use a scissor arm arrangement to reduce overall height?
FMPrime

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu May 11, 2017 1:51 pm

That is exactly what I was talking about!

I have thought of a few ways to use scissor arms on a a delta but nothing clean enough to be worthy of a mention.
Nicholas Seward

Return to New Printer/Machine Incubator