Parametric CoreXZ

Parametric CoreXZ

Postby cdsteinkuehler » Tue May 05, 2015 1:01 am

Any news on the parametric CoreXZ and related updates?

I'm really needing a cooling fan blowing on the part (and for the parts I'm printing, the desk fan solution is too drastic and causes warping). I can work around that, but I'm also interested in crafting a CoreXZ with a bit more space for things like a SSR to enable the 24V supply, a separate 5V supply for the BBB, and a bit more room for the electronics, since most BBB solutions are larger than the AVR board you designed around.
cdsteinkuehler

Re: Parametric CoreXZ

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu May 07, 2015 6:57 pm

No news. Treading water as always. I will see if I can post the files as is and let you mess with them. I tried to make a small version the other day and I had to really arm wrestle it due to the shear number of parameters I let the user mess with.
Nicholas Seward

Postby quillford » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:03 pm

Has any work been done with this? I have some parts from a printrbot simple I'd like to use for a corexz. I tried to make my own mini-corexz, but I'm not good with Inventor.
quillford

Postby Nicholas Seward » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:46 am

I did a summer camp where the student put together a mini/micro CoreXZ. The bot is good but it is hard to string. I am reevaluating if the complexity is worth it. I want to finish it up and put a bow on this printer but I have too many other things on my list.

The one good thing is that you can do the whole XZ stage on one plate/board. Layout can be done by hand. You could build the XZ with what you have and once you get done with it you can build the rest of the printer around it.
Nicholas Seward

Postby veng » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 am

I know it's a different paradigm but OpenSCAD makes parametric design essentially the only way to do a design.

It's really the way a Computer Scientist would do it.
veng

Postby Nicholas Seward » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:17 am

True but OpenSCAD takes me much longer and I have limited time. In the future, I will try to use OnShape which is very close to Inventor and free.
Nicholas Seward

Postby veng » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:36 pm

Has GT added a requirement for a MS thesis? It was not a required when I went through but that was a while ago. An Inventor to OpenSCAD convertor might be a topic.
veng

Postby tommythorn » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:24 am

Nicholas Seward wrote:True but OpenSCAD takes me much longer and I have limited time. In the future, I will try to use OnShape which is very close to Inventor and free.

I hadn't heard of OnShape before, but I got up to speed on it and made a few designs. However the reason I write now is that I discovered SolveSpace http://solvespace.com/ which AFAICT works very similarly to SolidWorks, but is open source. I'll use it for my next designs.
tommythorn

Return to New Printer/Machine Incubator