CoreXZ Question

CoreXZ Question

Postby alcom » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Hello, I would like to build the CoreXZ design that is found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp-ECU6ZiiU

I'm trying to discern how the pieces of the frame of the printer are connected to each other. I know that the previous version of the CoreXZ used tabs and slots with zip ties to hold them together, but it looks like you've changed that for this latest version. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, I see that you have plans to release the files for this printer at some point in the future. Looking forward to it! If you'd like me to beta test what you have available, I'll be glad to do it.

Thanks for everything!

-Sam
alcom

Re: CoreXZ Question

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:41 pm

I use M3 button head cap screws and square nuts. It is much nicer to look at.

I will try to get the new version published over Christmas. I did a redesign from the one in the video and I have the new laser cut parts in my lab but I haven't had time to put it all together to make sure I didn't make any dumb mistakes.
Nicholas Seward

Postby alcom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:40 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing your revisions! Am I correct in assuming that these changes will be posted on the ConceptForge git repository when they are available?

Thanks again!
alcom

Postby Nicholas Seward » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:00 pm

That is where I will post it. I planned to do it over this break but got much too busy. I don't know when I will find the time.
Nicholas Seward

Postby andycart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:48 am

Is there an update as to when the final design files for this machine will be posted?
andycart

Postby Nicholas Seward » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:51 pm

No hard date. I can send you my files but I haven't verified them with a build. There is a verified version very similar to the upcoming update that has been built.

https://github.com/NicholasSeward/ConceptFORGE/tree/NEW_CoreXZ/CoreXZ
Nicholas Seward

Postby alcom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi Nicholas,

I've stopped dreaming and started building a CoreXZ printer from the New_CoreXZ files (modified slightly for cutting on a CNC router). Now that I'm in the thick of it, I have a few questions:

1) Would it be possible for you to publish your hacked MarlinXZ on your git repository, or alternatively could you privately email this to me?

2) The Inventor files are ambiguous as to how the string attaches to the tuning pegs. I read on the forum that you had omitted the part that redirected the strings to the pegs. Do you have that file available at this time? (ipt, stl or any other format?)

Just to be clear, am I correct in assuming that both strings turn 180 degrees just past the peg and then return to the peg (CW/CW for one peg, CW/CCW for the other peg)?

3) Also, I don't see any endstops in the files you published. How is initial Z position determined?

Thank you very much!
alcom

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:59 pm

1) On its way.

2) I will try to track that part down.

3) I push the effector to the left and down and the bed back. This is a workhorse printer and not for an end user so I went for a simple design. I thought that asking the operator(my students) to spend 1sec manually homing would be acceptable. That said...you could put them on it but you will have to add the support into my hacked version of MarlinXZ. I actually deleted all of the end stop code to make it easier to look at. I did spend a few minutes on it but it was preventing motion in one direction and I didn't want to debug. Note: end stop detection code depends on the forward kinematic of the printer so adding support isn't 100% trivial. (You have to know what end stop is being approached.)
Nicholas Seward

Return to New Printer/Machine Incubator