Flat printer

Re: Flat printer

Postby Cozmicray » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:17 pm

What extruder / hotend are you going to put on Flat printer?

:?:
Cozmicray

Postby Nicholas Seward » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Cozmicray wrote:What extruder / hotend are you going to put on Flat printer?
:?:

I have a E3Dv6 that I will probably use. It is fairly short. I would probably use a short bowden tube but I haven't fully decided on anything including whether I will ever build it.

My goal of eliminating any deployment operations seems to be in conflict with having the hot end at all. I have contemplated have the hot end have a magnetic mount so that it can be pulled off and stowed but that again is a deployment operation.

Why am I so stuck on the idea of no deployment operations? 1) We already have foldable printers. For instance, I can allow the bed of the CoreXZ to rotate up and slim the y width of the machine and have a decent portable printer. 2) Less steps make for easier operation.

Again, I can't stress enough that the rendering I made was just a rough idea meant to start a conversation. Everything is on the table. I might go a completely different direction.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Feign » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:52 pm

Well to put it in perspective, even if you eliminate any setup in the machine itself, you still have to feed filament into it and plug it in.

If the hot-end and extruder detach so that you can store them with the filament still inside of it you make setup faster than if they were attached.
Feign

Postby AchronTimeless » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:42 pm

So I was looking at your concept, and I had an interesting idea. I'm a bit new to this whole 3d printer thing, so while I have aspirations to make a system like this work, I figured I'd throw the idea at someone with a better track record at making strange designs work in case I'm actually onto something.

What about rigid chain/belt mechanisms? I stumbled across a very ancient patent for a very mechanically simple implementation, but there are of course more modern and more complicated implementations.

Using something like that for the actual lifting, since it's low-profile unextended, and then use the scissor style mechanisms only for stabilization.
AchronTimeless

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:04 pm

I love the rigid belts and chains. However, the problem seems to be that no matter how accurate all the parts are the tolerances will add up in a hurry. What I mean is that you could make it work if the printer didn't move during printing and you did a lot of z mapping to correct for the error. Say you picked the printer up from the top then the belt/chain would go from compression to tension and all the tolerances would go from negative to positive. In conclusion, it could be done but you would want to hold the actuated end down with springs to eliminate that crazy backlash.

RigidBelt A rigid belt setup could be printed. Add a constant force spring and it should be pretty good if you provide stabilization in another way.
Nicholas Seward

Postby AchronTimeless » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:18 pm

And that's where I started running into problems in the planning phase. I'd had concerns about loose tolerances but I never even considered someone picking up the top section (I envisioned a CoreXY setup on it) and unloading the chain pressure normally afforded by gravity. Also, we're not exactly lifting heavy loads here in the first place.

The only other thing I've seen is this failed kickstarter: Japicain Revolution Printer

Not entirely sure how that mechanism works though.
AchronTimeless

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:21 pm

The Jacpica was a joke and was never shown to function. I enjoyed the KS video with the sloppy render enhanced time-lapse.

I have a trick that will drive the scissor lift in a linear way. I will have two scissors slaved together but in two planes. One will be on the side plane and one will be in the bottom plane. I can then drive the bottom one from the end with a belt/string/screw.

I want to really give this printer some attention and see if I can get it to reality. The current render is very ugly. I have been sketching and the new version will be much slicker. Unfortunately, I have had no time for months. Additionally, I have a baby coming and this printer isn't the one I want to focus on for the next round of the Gada prize.
Nicholas Seward

Previous

Return to New Printer/Machine Incubator