Silly Idea: GT2 Belt instead of Leadscrews

Silly Idea: GT2 Belt instead of Leadscrews

Postby CleverUsername » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:36 pm

I understand this may sound somewhat ridiculous, but would it be possible and, more importantly, effective to use the same LISA arm and hub kinematics, but replace the expensive Leadscrews with some cheap timing belt, a couple of 3d printed IGUS-style linear bearings and some smooth rods?
Wouldn't that cut down the cost a considerable amount?

I understand that many would suggest going with a Rostock build because it's "essentially" the same, but that's not the reason I want to build a LISA with belts. I really do enjoy the look and general "rad-ness" of LISA's kinematics. That being said, I'm a student with a pretty thin wallet, so the idea of a LISA with belts is very monetarily appealing.

I do have a few points/questions regarding a build like this:

1. Is it even possible/worth it?

2. Since I would be using belts, the preprocessor would need even MORE math to configure, as I would not be using any screws at all. Would that completely bone the entire idea?

3. Wouldn't using belts speed up print times?

4. Are there any other *big* pros/cons that I would be overlooking with this build?

5. (bonus) Does LISA stand for anything in particular?

I've lurked on these forums quite a bit, and I'd love to see more activity on here again.
What do you think? :D
CleverUsername

Re: Silly Idea: GT2 Belt instead of Leadscrews

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:46 pm

1) Yes and maybe
2) Use standard delta firmware instead. No preprocessor required. (I think... I will have to think harder on this.)
3) Maybe (There are lots of factors.)
4) The big con is that the single LISA arms aren't as rigid as the standard rostock arms.
5) LInear Simpson Alternative

I will stop here and let you ask more questions.
Nicholas Seward

Postby CleverUsername » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Well that sounds great, and I'm currently printing some slightly modified pieces and hope to have a working build sometime soon! I don't think I have any other questions (other than Do you have anything new in the works? :P ) so thank you so much!
CleverUsername

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:01 pm

I am finally verifying my parametric CoreXZ so I can use it during 3D printer build sessions for students. I am about to build a 1-arm SCARA. That is about it for now.
Nicholas Seward

Postby Dejay » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:34 am

I've thought about the same thing! Mostly because I like how the LISA arms look. They can be printed without requiring "special" joins and rods. They LOOK more stable but I guess they aren't. :|

Instead of smooth rods I would think about openbeam or V-Slot with wheels so the belts always move straight without twisting.

But then you still have the rather small hub of the Lisa.
Dejay

Return to LISA Simpson