My Build

My Build

Postby Nicholas Seward » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:50 am

Files are here

I am ordering the 7/16" screws on tomorrow. Can't wait.
Nicholas Seward

Re: My Build

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:41 pm

squirrel.jpg
squirrel.jpg (482.04 KiB) Viewed 66526 times

Here is my first good print! I think most of you will agree this is pretty close to the gold standard.

Videos

Upside down print.
http://youtu.be/T9ArP3Ies8k

Slow Print!
http://youtu.be/EMiPkpDFzuQ

I did a whole laundry list of tweaks. I designed and tested a better filament drive. I shortened my bowden tube. I decreased the current for the steppers. I added a spool holder. I am going to see if I can get calibration going tonight to enable full bed prints. It doesn't sound like much now that I list it but as lazy as I am it took a ton of Twilight Zone episodes to get it done.

I hope to switch over to the 7/16" screws or make a new LISA with the 7/16" screws soon.
Nicholas Seward

Postby uncle_bob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:02 pm

.... the links are backwards ...

Other than that - very impressive !!!!!
uncle_bob

Postby Nicholas Seward » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:10 pm

Fixed. Thanks!
Nicholas Seward

Postby Rasputin73 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Hey Nicholas,
I'm a long time lurker, I've been watching your designs and progress almost daily since the original Simpson Gada prize design. Anyway, I love the elegance and purity of the engineering for the whole Simpson family.

In relation to the LISA Simpson I was wondering what you think the improvements over a standard delta (Rostock, etc...) are? RepRap-ability is clearly one, but how do they compare on price, performance, or any other metric you can think of.

Thanks, and keep up the amazing work!

rasputin73 (Matt)
Rasputin73

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:04 am

I originally didn't see much value to this design but figured it would be a fun build for my students. It is almost an oxymoron. Simpson's are suppose to be free of linear motion. I have since broadened my internal definition of a Simpson to be a delta robot with no spherical joints.

Here are some points when comparing it to a Rostock style bot.
Pros:
[*]Simplicity
[*]Maintainability
[*]Easy to RepStrap
[*]Easy to assemble
[*]No spherical joints
[*]Possibly cost but not yet.

Cons:
[*]Less rigid (It is easier to twist the hub.)
[*]Speed (I have been able to go faster than my filament drive can go.)
[*]Cost (The screws are pricey but now that I have verified the design I will try to make a RepStrap with super cheap components. I just need to hit 60mm/s to be acceptable.)

I actually view LISA as two systems. The screw drive and the arms. You could use the arms with a belt /rail setup and you can use the screw drive with Rostock arms. Since LISA can get away with one long metal thing per arm I thought I would test out the screws with the Simpson style arms.

After playing with LISA for a while, I prefer the ease of maintenance of the screws over the filament drives. Even if I can't get the cost down (which I should be able to) I think many will see that the extra cost is worth it.
Nicholas Seward

Postby owens-bill » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:18 am

Now that is an impressive squirrel. Well done!
owens-bill

Postby Guizmo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:15 pm

WOW! :o

I didn't know you already had a working LISA!!

Can you post a picture of the machine please?
Guizmo

Postby Nicholas Seward » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:29 am

There is a pic here. She is about to look quite a bit different. Version 2 will have a bigger taller build volume and a smaller footprint.
Nicholas Seward

Return to LISA Simpson